GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spare wheel protection???

I'm thinking about putting a matching, full-size spare wheel/tire under the truck. I've measured and one will fit. However, I want to protect the wheel and can't seem to locate anything purpose built for this. Any thoughts on protecting the wheel from rock chips, mud, and brush scrapes?

Surreal

I once used a tire cover on a spare under the back of a truck i had 5 matching custom wheels on, turned out to be a bad idea since all the mud, dust, water, and debris got trapped in the cover and made it worse.
    I dont think I've ever seen a product to protect tires under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I once used a tire cover on a spare under the back of a truck i had 5 matching custom wheels on, turned out to be a bad idea since all the mud, dust, water, and debris got trapped in the cover and made it worse.
    I dont think I've ever seen a product to protect tires under the bed.
    Yea, I have no intent to use a cover like that. Maybe vinyl wrap is an option. I don't know how protective something like that would be, though. Maybe @AMac has an idea, as she's done a number of vinyl wrapped pieces.

I think to avoid the problem tim mentioned, you'd have to have a cover that could cover the entire wheel and the only opening would be where the cable runs through. That seems like it would be the only way to keep the dirt out, but I don't know where you'd find something like that

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

seems like you could do a bunch of clear coats on the rim, the tire wouldnt be protected, but the rim would look kind of weird. dont have any other ideas unfortunitly.

Al

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Sr. Engineer

Would a cheap after market hubcap snap on to your rim. Maybe cut a round disc out of some plastic of some kind and held in place by some means.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Seems like a custom job. I have lots of wierd ideas I think would work but none of the seems cheap or easy. But some kind of hinged enclosue with holes in it for the wheels support cable. I can see it in my head but not sure the most reasonable way to build. Good luck with your search. I know Surreal will find something.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Master Mechanic

I know a friend ended up having a custom mount fabricated in the bed for the wheel. idk if thats something you would want to look into or not.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Quote Originally Posted by LOVINTHESTORM View Post
    Seems like a custom job. I have lots of wierd ideas I think would work but none of the seems cheap or easy. But some kind of hinged enclosue with holes in it for the wheels support cable. I can see it in my head but not sure the most reasonable way to build. Good luck with your search. I know Surreal will find something.
    I actually envisioned the same kind of thing, but I also wasn't sure what the best way to build it would be.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Quote Originally Posted by LOVINTHESTORM View Post
    Like PMF, that was my first thought. Some type of skid plate with a piano type hinge that you can just lock into place with a hitch lock to keep it from being stolen.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast