GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Spare wheel protection???

I'm thinking about putting a matching, full-size spare wheel/tire under the truck. I've measured and one will fit. However, I want to protect the wheel and can't seem to locate anything purpose built for this. Any thoughts on protecting the wheel from rock chips, mud, and brush scrapes?

Surreal

I once used a tire cover on a spare under the back of a truck i had 5 matching custom wheels on, turned out to be a bad idea since all the mud, dust, water, and debris got trapped in the cover and made it worse.
    I dont think I've ever seen a product to protect tires under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I once used a tire cover on a spare under the back of a truck i had 5 matching custom wheels on, turned out to be a bad idea since all the mud, dust, water, and debris got trapped in the cover and made it worse.
    I dont think I've ever seen a product to protect tires under the bed.
    Yea, I have no intent to use a cover like that. Maybe vinyl wrap is an option. I don't know how protective something like that would be, though. Maybe @AMac has an idea, as she's done a number of vinyl wrapped pieces.

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Yea, I have no intent to use a cover like that. Maybe vinyl wrap is an option. I don't know how protective something like that would be, though. Maybe @AMac has an idea, as she's done a number of vinyl wrapped pieces.
    I agree with @tbplus10 in that it would be difficult to protect a spare wheel/tire mounted under the vehicle. Using vinyl would be difficult given the contours and breaks within the spokes. You could fabricate a shield of some sort that mounts over the tire?

If you could find one of those old stainless steel spare tire protectors used on the old gladiator vans you might be able to make something from that. Not sure if they made them large enough though for your size tire. Just a thought

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Well, everything has a problem. For instance:

• If you cover the underside of the tire then water/dirt is trapped above it and can't drain -- which will take its toll, in time.
    • You can't dome the top side simply due to placement/fitment under the truck.
    • If you cover the top side with something that rests immediately over the 'spokes' (a la a piece of cut-to-fit plastic) then water/dirt that comes between the 'spokes' and the cover material withh slowly act as an abraisive and score/scratch your wheels
    • Vinyl wrap has the same issue; if any kind of grit/debris gets under it and is trapped it's going to vibrate over time and act like sand paper under the vinyl.
    • If you bag or encase the wheel and tire then nothing had better be able to get inside; if water gets into a sealed shell then on hot days you'll be growing mold in there, for example.

I'm beginning to think that simply letting the wheel go unprotected with the 'pretty' side facing up ... is the best plan.

I think to avoid the problem tim mentioned, you'd have to have a cover that could cover the entire wheel and the only opening would be where the cable runs through. That seems like it would be the only way to keep the dirt out, but I don't know where you'd find something like that

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

seems like you could do a bunch of clear coats on the rim, the tire wouldnt be protected, but the rim would look kind of weird. dont have any other ideas unfortunitly.

Al

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Sr. Engineer

Would a cheap after market hubcap snap on to your rim. Maybe cut a round disc out of some plastic of some kind and held in place by some means.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Seems like a custom job. I have lots of wierd ideas I think would work but none of the seems cheap or easy. But some kind of hinged enclosue with holes in it for the wheels support cable. I can see it in my head but not sure the most reasonable way to build. Good luck with your search. I know Surreal will find something.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!