GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default GMC 3500 HD Diesel won't start

Hi,

I am new here, referred by a friend. I have had a problem with my GMC 3500 Sierra since about the time I got it. When in reverse and not hitting the fuel pedal, it would often surge with a puff of smoke. The dealer did not know the problem and they sent a man from Detroit out and put a black box in it for a while. Nothing was ever found.

I dealt with the surge issue. Later I found that when the front tank emptied it would stall. Thought back tank fuel filter was problem - cleaned out tank and replaced filter.

Problem continued soon after.

Gauge on dash acted funky looking empty when full etc.

Now, it won't start. Acts like it is not getting fuel, both tanks are full and there is a fluttering sound at the front fuel tank where the fuel pump is.

I found that the FSD, PMD or Fuel Pump Module Driver can cause the surge, stalling, and problem starting issues. It is a little box that would be easy to install, if I could find it. I also found that a bad fuel lift can cause this problem. I think the whole time it has been the FSD but I also think it could be a lift pump that is keeping it from starting.

I don't know where either one of these are located and I am wondering if anyone in here has a clue as to what they would do in this position. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I apprciate any assistance you may offer.

This link mentions the conditions that occur with a bad FSD, PMD or Fuel Pump Module Driver : http://www.acpartshouse.com/ShowItem...%20Module.aspx

Welcome to the site, someone should be able to help you out.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I believe Your PMD is on the fuel pump.
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Welcome to the site, it's good to have you with us. Good luck on your problem.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! Good luck with your issue.

Welcome to the forum, I need a little more info on your truck. Can you tell me what year it is? What size engine, 6.2, 6.5, or Duramax? I don't know much about the Duramax, but there are people who do. I may have to refer you to another site, that has more info and help available. On the basis that we are discussing a 1999 or older Chevy, I will assume you mean a 6.5 TD engine. The 6.2 is the same, just older and easier to work with. On the top front of the engine, directly behind the radiator hose outlet, is the IP or injection Pump, on these turbo diesels there is a brain box on top of the IP, we call it the PMD, or pump mounted driver. It's the brains of the engine. Because it's mounted on the top front of the motor, it's subjected to a lot of heat and vibration. Thus they fail often enough that aftermarket companies have made relocation kits that allow you to move it from the engine to behind the front bumper, or fender skirt. One of the things you learn about the 6.2/6.5 diesel motors is to NEVER run the fuel system dry of fuel. Doing so, leaves the truck unable to start, until the entire fuel system is bled, meaning the air in the lines, filter and pump must be removed, before the engine will start. Fuel pumps built into the tanks must be checked for pressure before they can be ruled out as a cause of problems. I checked your link out and that PMD looks ok, but again, I would buy a relocation kit and mount it where it will stay cool and dry. Here's the first site I found and joined to learn about my truck. I rate them very highly.
    http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/
    More interesting reading for you and anyone else interested in learning about their GM or Ford diesel motor.
    http://www.forgottendiesels.com/6.5_gm.html

I am also a member there as well. You will find many other people there with more knowledge on later model diesel engines. You will find many articles too. I will do what I can to help too. Please let us know how it's going, and good luck.
    Brian L.
    Last edited by mfleetwood; 06-06-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Removed outside forum link

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

Welcome to the G M T C !

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Welcome to the club! You've come to the right spot.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Welcome...........
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Legend

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Club!!!

*****Moved Thread*****

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by