GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Oil pressure high

07 NBS Sierra 5.3. Ck engine light came on. Says oil pressure level high. Unsafe level. Anyone else ever run into this??

Sr. Engineer

Never knew they had an upper limit. Was this pressure to high or oil level to high?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Pressure. Oil pressure gauge pegging out at 80 psi every now and then.

Sr. Engineer

I do not know what would have to fail to get high oil pressure intermitantly but a failing pressure sending unit could give a false reading. I would check the actual oil pressure to see what it was or take a chance and just change out the sending unit. Better yet, wait till someone with some first hand knowledge posts an opinion.

I was thinking oil pressure switch too. It's only a $40 part. Hopefully someone that has access to the tsb's can look to see if this was brought up. In case anyone asks my engine has already had the deflector plate installed.

High oil pressure could also point to crud built up in an oil passage causing a restriction which would jump up the pressure. If there is a restriction, something isn't getting oil which could mean premature failure of that part.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Engine was pulled and new pistons and rings were installed 12000 miles ago. Still burns oil but GM said its within specs. Thats another story. Oil changed regularly. I'm gonna change oil pressure switch this weekend.

Sr. Engineer

Did GM do the repair and do you have a warranty? If so then that is where I would start.

GM did repair and it's out of warranty now. Gonna replace the sensor tomorrow. The gauge dropped to 0 psi for about 20 miles yesterday and then back to 80.

Sounds to me like its the sensor. Same thing is wrong on my uncle's 05. His pegs out high and claims to have 0% oil life.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs