GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by donyms View Post
    Hey @SurrealOne, you have the same Kenwood radio I have so all you have to do is push the FNC button and hold it for a second and the back up camera comes on. The radio has to be on is all.
    Not quite. My camera draws +12v from the reverse lamp circuit. Switching the head unit to camera mode won't display what's behind me because the camera, itself, has no power unless the vehicle is in reverse. I can add wiring to do this but then it's two actions (switch to give camera power ... and adjustment of head unit) to turn it on. If I'm going to replace the camera at some point then I'm also going to wire it all up so that a single switch does it all.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Not quite. My camera draws +12v from the reverse lamp circuit. Switching the head unit to camera mode won't display what's behind me because the camera, itself, has no power unless the vehicle is in reverse. I can add wiring to do this but then it's two actions (switch to give camera power ... and adjustment of head unit) to turn it on. If I'm going to replace the camera at some point then I'm also going to wire it all up so that a single switch does it all.
    I am no expert but I know mine also draws 12 volts from the reverse lights when I shift into reverse. I didn't think it would work either but Kenwood told me that if it was wired up right that the FNC button would turn on the back up camera so I tried it and it does work. I'm not sure but I assume it somehow sends 12 volts back to the camera to turn it on. My radio is set for auto back up camera interrupt also. Yours is too if it comes on when you shift to reverse. I can't imagine why yours would be different if you have a standard camera and a DNX 6160. Have you tried it?
    This is my camera, what do you have?
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CNsBEPMCMAE
    Last edited by donyms; 06-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Yup, I've tried it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12