GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How low is low oil pressure?

I'm looking at buying a 2010 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ,6.0 gas,with about 122 k (75,000 miles).Everything is perfect except the oil pressure gauge reads just above 20 psi. at idle,then just under 40 psi at highway speed.That's 135 and 265 kpa up here in Canada.Is this within acceptable limits? Seems low for a truck carrying a premium price tag.Any input is greatly appreciated as I'm about to put a deposit down.Thanks.

I know the older trucks oil pressure gauges had low readings at times but I would look into why its at 20psi for a 2010. Trucks been driven a lot for only 2 years old.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Lots of miles on a 2010, for sure.With only 2000hrs on the clock.That would tell me its spent a bunch of time on these long straight highways up here.
    Actually the gauge reads 23 psi at hot idle .After spending some time digging around on google ,it turns out that its a fairly common problem with 6.0 liters and within GM specs.Does anyone else have these kind of readings?

I never owned a truck that new. My experience tells me you want ten psi of oil pressure for every thousand rpm the engine is at. You should never buy a used truck without seeing it start from cold. That's when you will see how much it smokes and how easy it starts. Highway miles are ok, if it was used decently. Drive it and look for bad manners, anything from steering wheel wobble, pulsing brake pedal, blue smoke on hard take off, dim lights, bubbles in the cooling system, tires worn down on the outer edge, are all signs of impending shop time. If at all possible, GET A WARRANTY!
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

That's not bad for a hot idle, especially considering it's probably running 5w-30.

Blog Entries

Every Chevy I have driven has been about 20 PSI idle and 40 at cruise jumping up to about 60 in passing gear.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Thanks for the response ,guys. They want $33k for this truck .I've never spent even close to that kind of money on any vehicle let alone a used truck.
    My old 6.0 litre in my '02 Silverado 1500 HD gets 35 psi at hot idle and almost 60 at cruising speed.It has 214,000 miles on it!I guess I was expecting a little more out of a newer truck with less miles.

I would!
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.