GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default K&N Cold Air Intake not legal in CA?

According to the K&N website, the K&N cold air intake isn't legal in CA. Does anyone know how they could tell if I was using one? Like will it not pass a smog test or will the smog check people report me to the gestapo or something? Or would the dealer report it? I can't see how anyone would know unless it impacts a smog test in some way where I wouldn't be able to pass it. Thanks for any help.

Maybe things changed but the last time I had a vehicle tested in Ca. they did an underhood visual check, any non-stock parts were required to have a CARB board certificate attached to them or the vehicle automatically failed the test.
    They normally wont catch you out on the road unless your vehicles such a gross polluter that it has a trail of smoke.

Sounds like K&N decided to stop paying the CARB board/Smog Nazi's mordida and got themselves black listed.
    Last edited by tbplus10; 06-11-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I will have a reply from K&N later today for ya..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Thats wierd. I have a K&N CAI and It came with a CA Legal sticker, I wonder if and when it changed
    4.8L Vortec | 6inch Lift | 35'' BFG ALL TERRAINS | K&N Intake | AirRaid Throttle Body Space | 3inch straight pipe dumped at rear axle | BlackBear Tuned | 2 13in JL Audio Subs | 1000watt HD amp, 2.9 cap | Kenwood Dble Din | Gibson Hi Flo Cats | HIDs Hi/Los 55watt 8000k |4.56 gears |

Just swap your intake when you go for the inspection. Otherwise, I'm sure you'd be fine.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

I just smogged my truck like 3 months ago and they never even opened the hood, I passed with flying colors running straight pipes with hollowed cats...lmao
    4.8L Vortec | 6inch Lift | 35'' BFG ALL TERRAINS | K&N Intake | AirRaid Throttle Body Space | 3inch straight pipe dumped at rear axle | BlackBear Tuned | 2 13in JL Audio Subs | 1000watt HD amp, 2.9 cap | Kenwood Dble Din | Gibson Hi Flo Cats | HIDs Hi/Los 55watt 8000k |4.56 gears |

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Thats wierd. I have a K&N CAI and It came with a CA Legal sticker, I wonder if and when it changed
    Do you know which model you have? I'm looking around to see if I can find an older model somewhere with the CARB sticker on it...

Quote Originally Posted by elittle View Post
    Do you know which model you have? I'm looking around to see if I can find an older model somewhere with the CARB sticker on it...
    I bought it from autoanything.com heres the stats
    K&N 77 Series Metal Intake Kit
    (77 Series Air Intake)
    Color/Style Polished
    Vehicle 2006 Chevy Silverado
    Submodel 1500, 4.8L V8
    Part # 77-3050KP
    SKU 2595069

Quote Originally Posted by elittle View Post
    I found this one for 277, not sure if you have the 5.3l but thats what this link is for.
    http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...0A3410174.aspx

I have the 5.3 liter. According to K&N, the legality of the cold air intake depends on the CARB reviewing it for the specific model year of truck, so while the 77 series cold air intake may be legal on a 2011 Silverado, it isn't necessarily legal on a 2012 until the CARB tests it and says it is... I hate California. Soon I may just put one on and take it off before smog like suggested above. The process can take something like a year to get the cold air intake CARB approved so maybe I'll get lucky and won't have to take it off if it becomes legal in 2013.
    Last edited by elittle; 06-12-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: added engine size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast