GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Dual exhaust installed on the Suburban

This past Saturday, I went to a local highly-recommended exhaust shop and had a dual exhaust installed on my Suburban. I had a laundry list of requirements that needed to be met such as having the exhaust run on 1 side of the truck for a future on-board air system, no exhaust tips, quiet on the highway with no drone, and not lose low end by going with too large an exhaust. Well, he more or less met the requirements.

He installed dual turbo mufflers for a quiet drive, and they are. They just don't have any rumble to them... The exhaust is new from right after the donut gasket flange all the way back. I thought I was getting some catalytic converters, but no, none to be found. He did install an X-pipe where the cat used to be. All the exhaust runs from the front to back on the drivers side, then right before the axle are the pair of turbo mufflers on edge. Then it cuts over to each side with a side exit right behind the wheel. I wanted a nearly straight output like the factory exhaust, but he put it at more of a 45 degree angle. I'm not crazy about it, but I'll get over it I guess. Then he didn't clean up the ends of the pipe where they exit, and I think they're not even. A round file will clean up the ends, but not being even can't be easily fixed without cutting out part of the pipe and remaking it. I might take it back to the shop next weekend and have them fix up the rear exhaust exits. Maybe even make them remake them for the flat angle I wanted in the first place.

I paid $400 for the system. How'd I do? Pics and video to follow.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

$400 for duals from the flange to the back isnt bad at all. Cant wait to see and hear it.

I took a video yesterday of the system, but didn't get a chance to upload it. I'll do it tonight when I get home. It's really nothing that sounds impressive, but is more functional than my previous exhaust which was held on by a coat hanger. Actually sounds a little less mean than my original exhaust did. However, this truck's primary purpose is for long road trips and hauling my camper where drone is absolutely not desired on the highway.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Hope you have a CAI so you have a more even flow of air in your motor.. Easy in and easy out...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Nope, no cold air induction. In fact, I don't think such a thing exists for my TBI setup. The best I think I can do is a K&N oiled filter and that's about it.
    Christopher

A 91 sub, yeah you can get or build a CAI. Check out CK5.com for vendors list. $400 for complete dual exhaust is nice because he made it quiet, and added the X pipe. I wonder how the shop owner gets arround not installing cats on vehicles without the EPA getting wise to it? I'm gonna do the same on my van, but I like a little noise, and the van is exempt from cats. Only catch is I gotta do it with one arm!
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.