GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Wow.. that thing looks really good! haha.. my talent stops after torquein down the final bolt on an intake manifold after a rebuild.. i have ZERO finesse for things like that.

#JEALOUS OF SKILL

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Fiberglassing is something I've been wanting to try for a long time but don't know anyone who can give pointers like where to even get the stuff. I have some wood working skills with a scroll saw. This center console looks professional. I think I would try a project like this since I'm having a hard time getting my jump seat black, What is the specs on the wood used? & The wood frame does remain in the console after finished & not like a mold that can be removed when the glass dries?

My old mustang if anyone has been in a fox body 87-93 mustang probably know on the center console there was an ashtray with a faulty door that never stayed closed nest to the e brake. I took a couple cup holder pieces I found & bondoed them in where the ash tray was looked good but not the right material.
    Last edited by dadngt; 06-18-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals

Quote Originally Posted by dadngt View Post
    Fiberglassing is something I've been wanting to try for a long time but don't know anyone who can give pointers like where to even get the stuff. I have some wood working skills with a scroll saw. This center console looks professional. I think I would try a project like this since I'm having a hard time getting my jump seat black, What is the specs on the wood used? & The wood frame does remain in the console after finished & not like a mold that can be removed when the glass dries?

My old mustang if anyone has been in a fox body 87-93 mustang probably know on the center console there was an ashtray with a faulty door that never stayed closed nest to the e brake. I took a couple cup holder pieces I found & bondoed them in where the ash tray was looked good but not the right material.
    You can buy all the fiberglass stuff at home depot and the fleece at a fabric store the wood was just mdf very easy to cut but there's not much to fiberglassing just takes a lot of sanding to get it smooth

So all in all, how much did this cost you from start to finish?
    Matt

I've worked with mdf before it is easy to use but usually the 3/4 is only available & that seems way to thick compaired to your pics, but I'll look arround other places to see what I find. Thanks for the leads

Outstanding! I'm planning to do something similar with my Burb but I'm going to hold off till I decide exactly how I'm going to modernize the interior.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

i used 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch both were in stock at home depot and after everything it probably costed me about $350 the most expensive parts were the ipad cage that i bought from halosupercars and the linear actuator from firgelli both of those were about $100 a piece the materials were all cheap

Sweet thanks. I've been dealing with small town lumber yards, Home Depot is about 30 minutes away so I'll be checking there later on. I need to go sit in the truck now & see exactly what I would want to do. Don't worry I'm not going to copy your console exactly just maybe the basic shape lol I don't have an I pad. Well back to the drawing board.

I joined this forum so I could comment on this thread. Awesome work! I love the idea of a mount for my tablet (ASUS Transformer Prime).

It looks as if you used a CNC router to cut the parts, if not then you have a very good hand with a jigsaw.

I was looking for a new bench seat (1990 Silverado) and had tried a set of buckets but did not like them. Now I am rethinking the buckets.

I do have a CNC router table and the fiberglass skill to make one of these. You have inspired me, thanks.

Pretty darn nice! I like the way you incorporated the brackets/legs from the center seat. working with fiberglass gives you so much lead way and you're only restricted by your imagination. Believe me, learn a few tricks with glass and you won't want to work with anything else. considerable time and thought went into the project. Well done!
    2004 Silverado-4.3/AT/AC Work Edition-Clean Neat & Simple