GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Louisiana Summer Thunderstorms...

Well, last night around 4:00am we got our first big summer thunderstorm. As usual for the summer ones, the lightning was quite spectacular! I didn't have my camera tripod so no pictures... There was some damage though. My girlfriends car didn't fare too well...

Window shattered, door frame bent, roof dented, and mirror lost. My truck survived fine, I wish it had been my truck though, instead of her car...

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

and thats why you have insurance.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

[QUOTE=Sierraowner5.3;481322]and thats why you have insurance.

Alex[/QUOTE

Definitely agree with you there!

I'm glad you made it through safely. We have been having the bad storms her in South MS too and some are kind of scary. It's good to hear that you and yours are safe. Be careful.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

When will these freakin storms end? Been a few scary ones lately and lightning has hit so close, I thought a big car wreck happened on the road again. Ran into some hail by Airline and I-10 about a week ago and seeked shelter for my truck with a group of about 30 Lance Armstrongs that were riding in the rain.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I grew up in Oklahoma, so I'm used to that type of stuff (and the tornadoes that typically come with them back home). We've had two or three hail storms in the last 6 months where I live in TN now but both the Camaro and the truck fared fine. Not too worried about the Camaro since it's old school (although she'll finally be getting a garage to stay in at the end of July). The truck is already beat up (and it's my storm chasing vehicle) but I doubt I'd be able to pick out any new hail dents. Sorry to hear about your g/f's car getting banged up though.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    When will these freakin storms end? Been a few scary ones lately and lightning has hit so close, I thought a big car wreck happened on the road again. Ran into some hail by Airline and I-10 about a week ago and seeked shelter for my truck with a group of about 30 Lance Armstrongs that were riding in the rain.
    I feel for you guys down South. Every storm has skirted right around us in North La.

Quote Originally Posted by SupplySgt View Post
    I grew up in Oklahoma, so I'm used to that type of stuff (and the tornadoes that typically come with them back home). We've had two or three hail storms in the last 6 months where I live in TN now but both the Camaro and the truck fared fine. Not too worried about the Camaro since it's old school (although she'll finally be getting a garage to stay in at the end of July). The truck is already beat up (and it's my storm chasing vehicle) but I doubt I'd be able to pick out any new hail dents. Sorry to hear about your g/f's car getting banged up though.
    Oh, I'm not a fan of tornadoes at all! I hate that the car took the damage, but I'd rather it than a person any day.

Yeah I forgot you're a Louyankee . It just started sprinkling. Just in time for me to drive to Baton Rouge to go get a shot.

Oh I agree there about rather the car taking the damage. As far as tornadoes, I grew up dealing with them and am used to it. I won't even go underground unless it gets within 2 miles to be honest. Usually though, I'm out trying to find it. I figure I've seen enough of them that I can use my knowledge of them to keep the general population informed, which is why I'm part of the local ARES (ham radio group that provides most of the volunteer storm spotters). The news stations monitor our transmissions and pass along our info when one of us (they refer to our reports as "trained spotter reports") calls in something. We also have someone that relays our information to the National Weather Service, and one of our members works for the county Emergency Management Agence (EMA), which basically gives us two way communications with our local law enforcement, fire, and EMS (unless they have an amatuer radio license, they cannot transmit on our frequencies).

Sorry for the tangent, but that's one of the reasons I have the Burb and am slowly making it into a better emergency response platform.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by