GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SupplySgt View Post
    Oh I agree there about rather the car taking the damage. As far as tornadoes, I grew up dealing with them and am used to it. I won't even go underground unless it gets within 2 miles to be honest. Usually though, I'm out trying to find it. I figure I've seen enough of them that I can use my knowledge of them to keep the general population informed, which is why I'm part of the local ARES (ham radio group that provides most of the volunteer storm spotters). The news stations monitor our transmissions and pass along our info when one of us (they refer to our reports as "trained spotter reports") calls in something. We also have someone that relays our information to the National Weather Service, and one of our members works for the county Emergency Management Agence (EMA), which basically gives us two way communications with our local law enforcement, fire, and EMS (unless they have an amatuer radio license, they cannot transmit on our frequencies).

Sorry for the tangent, but that's one of the reasons I have the Burb and am slowly making it into a better emergency response platform.
    Very nice! Glad to hear the burb is going to something as helpful as emergency response! A friend of mine just enlisted me to help install his 2m shortwave antennae on his balcony for ham and other radio transmissions. I didn't really get the details on what it was for but installing it was fun project.

2010 OEM 20" Wheels
    Color-matched mirror covers and emblem
    20% tinted windows - 6" eyebrow
    Black rear fender-wells
    Completely debadged and demolded
    Duramax airbox replacement w/ K&N filter
    2" Rear drop shackle
    Tailgate light bar
    Flowmaster Delta 50 w/ double tip exits
    Blue footwell lighting
    12" Pioneer Sub (custom downfire box) 850W amp
    Full LED interior

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    Yeah I forgot you're a Louyankee . It just started sprinkling. Just in time for me to drive to Baton Rouge to go get a shot.
    That's a new one!

Thank you for the kind words. I also have substantial medical training from the military and I just feel that I need to use the skills, training, and knowledge that I have gained to help those that live in my area. I already keep some medical equipment in the truck and am working on acquiring more. Ham radio is pretty cool in my eyes. You should ask your friend to tell you more about it. It's a great way to meet people who are very much down to earth and will go out of their way to help each other. Kinda like how this forum is.

EDIT:
    You should mention to your friend that a guy on your truck forum is a ham. If you want to mention my call sign, it's in my sig.

Another thing I found fascinating about becoming a ham is just that the test requires a little knowledge on radio theory. Most things medical, mechanical, and electrical fascinate me (the mechanical side is how I got into the car hobby). On a side note, when I had shoulder surgery, the doctor offered to show me the MRI before the surgery and (after surgery) the pics from the surgery itself. I was so fascinated by it all that he gave me copies of the pics from the surgery. I originally planned to get my ham license so that I could legally carry a scanner (I lived in KY at the time and it was one of the few exemptions to the law prohibiting having a scanner in your car). Once I started looking into it, I became curious and then fascinated about how it all worked (as far as radio theory goes). If you're interested on how things work, that side alone of the hobby is very rewarding. When I have some extra time, I need to upgrade my ham license. It requires more knowledge of radio theory but with my fascination of that type of stuff, studying for it will be no problem.

But definitely ask your friend questions. Most hams love to talk, and love even more to talk to interested non-hams about their hobby. I'm sure you're friend will be more than happy to tell you about it, and if you show interest in becoming a ham, will be even happier. Most hams that I know are that way (as am I). I certainly don't know it all, but if you have any questions of me feel free to ask. Again, sorry for the thread hijack, but it's one of my passions in life :D
    Last edited by SupplySgt; 06-12-2012 at 09:08 AM.
    93 Suburban (Southern Slayer): TBI 350, 4L60E
    73 Z28 Camaro: L82, TKO 600

KJ4CLI

"...Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back..."

I remember driving going across Hwy 10 or 20 in LA during heavy rain and squashing all the little frogs that covered the road, then afterward couldn't see because of the bugs , have to stop and scrape the windshield. Three hail dents on my 2000 Silverado while living in TN. I heard a big storm was on the way and was going to cover it up but fell asleep , heavy thunder and wind woke me up later to see hail and trees blowing over

2012 Silverado

That hit us over in tuscaloosa knocked out a power line which took them all night to fix
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

Hot and dry in Utah. Need some rain so don't be so greedy. Away from house for a week and my lawn looks like a cut grain field. Performing medical emergency techniques to bring back the lawns color, in this case Green is GOOD
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12