GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 1996 k1500. NO RUN!!!

Ok so here is my problem. I was driving down the road today, when i let off the gas pedal the truck just stopped running. Every thing stayed on but it was like the fuel just stopped. No warning at all. I thought the truck was out of gas. I tapped on the tank and i sounded empty. SO im thinking ok the gauge is wrong and i ran out. SO I put 5 gallons in it and still no start. I pushed on the pressure valve on the back of the throttle body and witht he key on it just sprayed and sprayed. PUlled the lines from the TB and fuel just runs rights out. SO i was thinking out good fuel no fire. I put some fuel in the TB and it fired up then died. I am stumped. NO engine light though. NOt sure whats up. Hoping it isnt the spider unit. the truck ran great right up until it died.

Forgot it has a 305 in it.Any help would be great. Thanks

I put some fuel in the TB and it fired up then died.
    This strongly suggests something wrong with the fuel system somehow.

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it? You can push the test port and get fuel out, but still have insufficient pressure. Various reports suggest this engine needs at least 50 psi to run. Maybe you aren't generating enough pressure. Or maybe the injectors aren't firing. Can you pull a spark plug and see if they are getting "wet?"
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I did not put a gauge on it. I will pull a plug and see if it is wet. I was also thinking maybe the computer went. Thanks

Ok so I pulled a plug today. Not wet. I pulled the pump to check. When I turn the key on they pump runs for like 1 second. then stops. I notice that the fuel pump relay kicks off also. Is this normal? I have no voltage to the pump after that first second. When the pump forst comes on i have 8 volts. I ran a hot wire to the pump to see if that would help. The pump will run but sounds like it stops pumping. I can hear it humming. Maybe the pump is to week to push fuel once it gets pressure. The truck still wont fire up with the hot wire to the pump though. Any thoughts. I am next going to check all wires from ignition to everything. not sure if i have a wiring problem. When i hook the hot wire up to the pump my door chime keeps going off even with the key out. I finally got that to stop. not sure what i did. must have been the wire wiggling. Any thoughts would be great.

When I turn the key on they pump runs for like 1 second. then stops. I notice that the fuel pump relay kicks off also. Is this normal?
    Yes, this is normal, until you start the engine (there's no sense running the pump if the engine isn't starting/running).

When the pump forst comes on i have 8 volts. I ran a hot wire to the pump to see if that would help.
    I would have expected 12 V. Did running the hot wire to the pump give you 12 V at the pump? And all of this electrical tinkering isn't really answering the question - is the fuel system generating sufficient pressure to run the engine? If it is really only getting 8 V, perhaps the pump is unable to generate sufficient pressure.

The pump will run but sounds like it stops pumping.
    Not entirely sure what to make of this. It is fairly normal for the sound of the pump to change after a second or two. The pump runs to build up pressure in the fuel system. Once the desired pressure is reached, the fuel pressure regulator (a basic, mechanical back pressure regulator) opens to allow the fuel to return the tank while maintaining constant pressure upstream of the regulator. This type of operation often makes the pump sound like it is doing something up to a point, then the sound becomes steady.

With the pump out, did you notice any fuel being returned to the tank? I'd still recommend a fuel pressure gauge -- it's kind of hard to diagnose the fuel system accurately without it.

I would have expected 12 V. Did running the hot wire to the pump give you 12 V at the pump? And all of this electrical tinkering isn't really answering the question - is the fuel system generating sufficient pressure to run the engine? If it is really only getting 8 V, perhaps the pump is unable to generate sufficient pressure.

It did provide 12v to the pump when i ran a hot wire. I know the pump will sound different once it have built up pressure but it sounds almost like it stops. SO im guessing i need to crank the truck over to test and see if i have a steady voltage. Can i get a fuel pressure gauge anywhere?

Thank you for the info. I will see if i can find a fuel pressure gauge somewhere. any other thoughts are welcome too.

I would expect any parts store (including the big chain stores like Autozone or Napa) or any tool shop (Harbor Freight seems to have the cheapest if you trust their stuff) to carry a fuel pressure gauge. You could also try their online presences or any website that sells tools and order over the internet. It shouldn't be difficult to find one.

Thanks again for the help. I will look.

Ok so i found the problem and fixed it. I started pulling the wiring harness apart from the computer to the injector module. I found that i had a problem with the pink wire going to the module. All is good now. Took some digging but it works again.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by