GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 06 silverado brakes

Can anyone out there tell me why Chevy doesn't put 4 wheel disc brakes on thier 4x4's at least my 06 with every bell and whistle doesn't have them and I've looked at a few other 4x4's and they don't have them either nor do they have the hydro brake system, before I run off and buy a kit to install rear disc's on my truck why they weren't put on at the factory in the first place.
    Thanks

My 03 silverado 4x4 had 4 wheel disc brakes

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

My 2001 Silverado had 4 wheel disks
    My 2005 Silverado has disk drums

People complained that the Chevy trucks didn't have good brakes. As a previous owner of a truck with 4 wheel disks I can you that the brakes worked fine, but required more pedal movement. Also the rear rotors where problematic. I had problems with grit getting into the rear brakes and causing excessive rotor rear and rusting. And the mud shields (poor excuse for a backing plate) rusted away compounding the problem. This is Wisconsin, the capital of the rust belt.
    With the 2005 and the disk-drum setup the brakes are more effective and require less pedal movement., In fact it took me a bit to get used to that.

Anyways the later model trucks with the disk drum are more effective. Seems counter intuitive.
    Lerch
    This is Chevy Country.

Drums-better stopping power,less likely to get dirty,etc.
    Rotors-look nice,get dirty and rusty,less stopping power(i think)

For me id rather have rear drums then rear rotors

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    Factory Black Running Boards
    BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO's(265/65R18)
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    Bowtie Mud Flaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    DeeZee Toolbox(Debadged)
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Bigger Tires
    Aftermarket Rims

Here's an Article, that expresses Why G.M. when Back to Rear Drum Brakes on the 2005" and up Light Duty Full Size Trucks,

http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/ma...docid=24463616
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-05-2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Blog Entries

My only complaint with the "new" braking system on the 05+ trucks is that they made the front calipers larger, requiring at LEAST a 17 inch wheel to be ran. Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the drums in the rear.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

So thank you to all for the information. You will all be happy to know that I am staying with my "DRUM" brakes.

I will be to, I was thinking about converting to rear disk brakes. But after this Ill be keeping my rear drums.
    4.8L Vortec | 6inch Lift | 35'' BFG ALL TERRAINS | K&N Intake | AirRaid Throttle Body Space | 3inch straight pipe dumped at rear axle | BlackBear Tuned | 2 13in JL Audio Subs | 1000watt HD amp, 2.9 cap | Kenwood Dble Din | Gibson Hi Flo Cats | HIDs Hi/Los 55watt 8000k |4.56 gears |

I'd rather have discs....ALOT easier to change the pads IMHO. My 97 had drums and I was confused and had no idea what to do...so I had my dad "help" do them while I "learned and 'watched'"

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Thats odd they didnt put disc on a all 4 wheels standard. My 05 Avalanche has them.