GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Blog Entries

Default Trailer running lights question

I have a 2012 Silverado crew cab with the HD towing package and cooler and the 3.42 gears, I had connected my fathers trailer after re-wiring it for him, and every light worked except for the running lights when the headlamps were on.

However when I connected the trailer to my sisters truck which is an older model like a 2002 ext cab, it worked just fine.

Question here is, do I have to have a special type of hitch connected so the truck knows that it's about to tow in order to engage the running lights for the trailer connection in the rear or do I need to take it to the dealer so they can have a look to see if it was even installed correctly from the factory?

Please respond asap, I haven't pulled a trailer yet and this was supposed to be the first time...so I have never messed with the truck for towing until now.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

Running light circuit is not getting power. For some reason on your new truck it sounds like the plug has that connection in a different location than what your trailer thinks it is supposed to be. At this point, I take my truck to my auto electric guy. Of course, he may want to take a look at my wiring job on the father's trailer, or suggest trying your truck plug on a different trailer to see if the problem persists.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Have you checked your fuse for the running lights if you have one?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Sr. Engineer

Try looking here, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...agrams-Pinouts . Before you start changing wiring on a new vehicle I would make sure the trailer wiring complies with the diagrams in this post. I don't know the history of the trailer but if it was normally towed with sisters truck then maybe it was wrong and trailer was wired to work with it. If you have electric brakes then make ABSOLUTELY sure it is wired correctly, last thing you want is turn signals working the brakes.
    Good luck and be safe.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Sr. Engineer

Hey Mods, can you move the trailer pin out sticky http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...agrams-Pinouts to the trailer towing site?

Quote Originally Posted by dpeter View Post
    Hey Mods, can you move the trailer pin out sticky http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...agrams-Pinouts to the trailer towing site?
    Very good idea. Done. I also left the link in the Electrical sub-forum for posterity.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Engineer

even better!

Blog Entries

It was a fuse that was blown out! Had the dealer look at it, I felt like a dumb butt of course.

They even made sure that it wasn't the vehicle making t blow the fuse, so I guess I'll just try it again tomorrow when I go pick up the trailer.

If I'm correct, it was my fault the fuse blew anyway >.> good story for a different day though!

Thanks for all the input as all guys!!!