GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Performance Headers ~ for 2003 Silverado 1500

Im thinking about buying some new headers for my truck. The old ones are pretty rusted out, and ive got to put a new exhaust system in because right now all ive got is a cat-back.

Anybody have any recommendations on a good brand for headers? I dont want to spend an arm and a leg for parts, but im not afraid to throw down $400 or $500 for some good parts, just not a couple grand.
    AkRide907 - Milaud
    2003 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Crewcab 6.0L
    Quadrasteer, K&N Cold Air Intake, Catback True Dual Exhaust
    "Welcome to Alaska... where its cold as f**k, and we go hard with our trucks."
    Next project: Install Long Tube Headers w/custom header back exhaust pipes

Have you decided on long tube/ short tube? Long tube you get the most gains and the shortys are similar to your stock manifold. And I'm curious as to why you want a full exhaust if you already have cat-back and headers? Your manifold to cat is rusted out too?
    Last edited by ChevyHD; 06-13-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

I'm probably going to go with the long tubes. The cat-back is pretty noisy, even from inside the cab, and yea it a bit rusted out too, not as bad as the headers, but i really want to just redo the whole system. Ive got a guy who can help me fabricate some custom pipes since i want them to come out just after the running boards on either side of the cab. Any preference on material either? Chrome? Stainless? Ceramic?

Ceramic coated is the way to go IMO. I've been wanting to redo my whole setup with something custom like long tube headers, performance cats into a 2 3/4 pipe and into a single in dual out muffler and dump under the bed.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

X2 on the ceramic.

Any ideas on who makes good long tube headers? Alaska doesnt have any emissions standards so im pretty much going to go balls to the wall with this and not even bother with putting any cats in, just attached some 2-3 inch pipe after the headers to go out behind the running boards.
    Ive been looking around a lot, and from what ive heard from some people i could just take long tube headers made for pretty much any 6L v8 engine with the same classic body style as mine, but they dont make many to begin with it seems... or maybe im just not looking in the right place for them.

Any recommendations?

I have a 2005 silverado 1500. 5.3L. I just purchased a set of supermaxx headers and Y pipe with cats, made by dynatech. I live in new york! the whole system is stainless steel and I hade the headers ceramic coated inside as well as out. They have been on my truck for a week now. They look great! and I can realize quite a difference in the performance. No underhood heat either.