GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Installing a Trans Temp Gauge

Hi folks.

Just picked up a Trans Temp Gauge to install in my 1997 Tahoe. My question is where to put the sending unit. My transmission shop says they don't like the idea of putting it the pan since because if you bump it on something you loose ALL your fluid due to the low position in the trans. With this being said, they say they mount it in a "test port" by removing a plug. Anyone know where this is located on a 1997 Tahoe? TIA.....Al

Going off of memory, I think the pressure test port is about midway up the case on the drivers side near the bellhousing.

Me, I'm putting my gauge in a TCI deep oil pan. It'll give me additional cooling an a spot specifically to put my temp sender. My opinion on the pan being too low is you should never be able to put something high enough to snag the pan. It's pretty high up, higher than the front suspension and to a point higher than the frame rails. If that still isn't enough, you can put a skid plate on for the transmission.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I know what your shops saying about the low position of the pan but the reality of the situation is if you develop a leak in the test port it's gonna dump most of your fluid too, this is a pressurized line an it doesnt take long to blow all the fluid out a pressurized line. It'll leave enough in the system to fill the pan but when you get to low it's gonna start cavitating and foaming which will cause the same issue and same results.

Sr. Engineer

Where is the factory trans. temp. sender located? I have always thought the best place would be in the line leaving the transmission going to the oil cooler.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear