GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default calling all computer guys

alright! i know that we have a few guys here that are good with computers so here is my issue. the hindges broke on my laptop. it is 2 years old. At the moment i dont have the funds for a new one. so, following some online guides i drilled some holes and inserted screws to fix the hinge issue. when i did this i had to remove the keyboard. now the g,h, esc, backspace, 8 keys do not work. i searched around online and attempted every repair that i could find. i was concerned that it was a programming issue, but from what i read if it is a programming issue then the same keys will not function when a usb keyboard is plugged in. is this correct? should i just replace the keyboard and hope it works? they are only $10. any suggestions for a fix? i reset the bios settings to factory because some people said that fixed theirs. i tried taking the battery out and holding the power button for 30 seconds and then reboot. when i look at the hardware settings it shows nothing for the keyboard. same when i check the status. the laptop is an hp g72 running windows 7. thanks guys

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I had a similar problem once. There should be a little plug that attaches the keyboard to the computer, I had mine off-center the first time I installed it, and then not in tightly the second time.
    Looks kind of like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keyboard-connector.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	58790
    2007 Silverado 1500 NNBS - Work truck and daily driver
    2002 Malibu - The wife's car, for now. I smell a Suburban in my future
    1976 Stingray - NOW OVER 100,000 MILES!

3. Thanks ChevyFan thanked for this post

@Pikey did the keyboard work perfectly fine before you took it apart to fix the hinges?

Like BornAgain said, double check the keyboard wiring connection. Also, do you have a USB keyboard you can plug into the laptop and check it that way?
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

5. Thanks ChevyFan thanked for this post

yes, it did work fine. i fear i ma have flexed it too much when i took it out. i disconnected that connector and reinstalled it 3 or 4 times. i am using a mini usb keyboard right now. it sucks. i could not access the bios or startup menu because the esc key is dead. but i was able to with the usb keyboard

So everything works on the USB keyboard?

Certainly wont fix your installed keyboard, but last Easter when my grandaughter allowed a chocolate easter bunny to melt on and toast my HP Laptop keyboard I bought a $15 USB connected IR keyboard.
    A year later and Ive discovered for me since I rarely take the laptop anywhere the new keyboard works great and is more comfortable to use.

I bought a kvm (or is it kmv?) switch where I have a wireless logitech mouse and keyboard combo hooked into it so regardless of what computer I'm on I use the same keyboard and mouse. Can't stand using the notebooks keyboard anymore.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    So everything works on the USB keyboard?
    yes. everything works on the usb keyboard. it is a tiny keyboard built into a small tablet case. so, it will work for now cause i am in a jamb. but, using a usb keyboard all the time will not work for me. i use this for school. desk space is limited as it is in many of my classes or places that i meet project groups at.

@Pikey Check ebay for your model laptop and just its keyboard. I know people that have replaced just the screens of their laptops by finding it on ebay.

12. Thanks Pikey thanked for this post

I found one on amazon for $14 with prime shipping. I replaced the screen about a year ago after my 5 year old threw a dog bone at me and cracked it. cost me $90. i think that i have been down every avenue i can as far as trouble shooting this thing. after the posts about the connecter i pulled it apart again and had it running while i played with the connecter. i never got any of the non working buttons to function. hopefully the keyboard fixes it. typing on this little thing is terrible. thanks for all of your help

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by