GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1987 surburban electrical issues

truck has been sitting awhile. it was fine until the other day neede to be jumped but i changed the starter and had alternator checked. now it will not start just turn over and the lights dont work but brake lights come on when pressed. no inside lights. used tester on fuses and nothing would light up.

First off: Welcome to GMTC!! We're glad to have ya aboard here and there's lots of experience and knowledge

Issue: Now, were you using a test light and that's what you mean by "nothing would light up" meaning everything in the fuse panel was dead?

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

yes sir i have checked also for corrosion at battery post just changed starter. It was towed home and i was thinking maybe it was vapor lock or fuel pump but none of that was the cause. i do have hazard and brake lights it will turn over but no fuel is getting to carb, all the fuses was pulled and they all were good.

I'm unfamiliar with the fuse block on the vehicle.. but are the wires routed directly into the block, or are there several plug-ins and terminals for them? If so, you may try taking them out and hitting them with some electronic contact cleaning spray (Not an electric parts cleaner or wd-40, as they both conduct electricity and can cause shorts. the contact cleaner dries quickly preventing any shorting, also make sure the battery is unplugged just in case). Also, di-electric grease used in the factory could be causing them to lose connection and should be cleaned out using the contact cleaner.

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! It looks like rado has you in capable hands, so good luck with your issue.

Legend

Blog Entries

****Thread Moved Here*****

Welcome to the Club!!!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals