GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Electric fan conversion for 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 (5.3L)

Does anyone have experience with electric fan conversions? I have an engine-driven fan in my 04 GMC Sierra 1500 and am curious what it'd take to convert to an electric fan setup. I understand the 05 and later came stock with one, so I'd think I should be able to convert to one easily enough ... gaining some ponies back and, hopefully, cooling the engine a little better. I've already got an upgraded electrical system, so an extra 30-40 amp draw is no problem...

I think for your year truck, a reflashing of the computer will allow you to use an output pin of the computer to control the e-fan turning on and off. You'll still need a high-amp relay to do the heavy lifting, but you won't need any additional temp switches or anything.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

My brother put 2 universal fans on his 99 4.3 and a aftermarket harness and relay and I might do the same but I'd try and hide the wires best I can or wrap them with that split flex tubing stuff. I hate looking at wires and they just get in my way...

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    My brother put 2 universal fans on his 99 4.3 and a aftermarket harness and relay and I might do the same but I'd try and hide the wires best I can or wrap them with that split flex tubing stuff. I hate looking at wires and they just get in my way...
    What's he using to control the temp at which the fans come on/off and where is that temp control plugged into (radiator presumably?) The wiring's a non-issue and I have piles of 3/8" wire loom (the name for what you called the 'split flex tubing stuff', lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I think for your year truck, a reflashing of the computer will allow you to use an output pin of the computer to control the e-fan turning on and off. You'll still need a high-amp relay to do the heavy lifting, but you won't need any additional temp switches or anything.
    Reflashing to what {flash version} and by whom {the stealership}?

im planning on doing the same by summers end and have found many how-to's all over the internet from LS1's to ford taurus swaps...
    personally i am going to go the LS1 route (2 fans) as opposed to the ford taurus route (1 fan, 2 speeds)... i will hopefully be starting it in the next month...
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR
    HELLA LED taillights and 3rd brakelight
    HELLA FF-75 Aux. Reverse Lamps
    RIGID dually D2, flush mount, wide beam
    Accessories:
    Hawk HPS Brake pads
    Russell braided steel brake lines
    Powerstop-red powdercoated brake calipers
    Powerslot Cryo brake rotors
    EGR in-channel window visors

Quote Originally Posted by reggiecab2000 View Post
    im planning on doing the same by summers end and have found many how-to's all over the internet from LS1's to ford taurus swaps...
    personally i am going to go the LS1 route (2 fans) as opposed to the ford taurus route (1 fan, 2 speeds)... i will hopefully be starting it in the next month...
    Any chance you might do a guide in the process ... or link a guide you've found to work well?

Yeah @SurrealOne the temp sensor is just plugged into the radiator I belive.

@surreal, you may be able to find a wrecked 05 + and take a look at whats different between those and yours. most everything should just bolt right up. My buddy that has a 99 silverado was looking at doing the same thing. I loved the electric fans in my 05, gave you more room to work and more clearance to check the serpentine belt and so on. I also thought they were quiter the the engine driven fan.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

If the install goes great, i might try to do a guide, but if for some reason i cant i do have a few links for you to check out, although most deal with silverados, but sierra should be the same foundation...
    http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/g...-fan-swap.html

well i though i had about 2 or 3... anyway google is definitely your best friend here
    but from everything i have seen this install seems to be about a 4 out of 10 difficulty rating!

I'm not sure what version the software in the computer has to be, but I know there are boatloads of companies out there that can do it. You definitely don't have to go to the dealership and I don't think they'd help you anyway. There may even be a handheld tuner that can do it, but I haven't researched it alot as I don't have a truck I can do that to.

I am planning on doing the Mark VIII fan conversion. It's very similar to the Taurus fan swap except I think it moves a couple CFM more air through it. It's one HUGE fan. When I do the install I'll be taking pics the whole way. I'm going to have to go with a fan controller for mine and figure out where I should put the temp probe.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by