GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: T-case issues

Default T-case issues

Ok today's that kind of day that anything that is wrong with anything, it seems to be my stuff. A while ago, I had my rear end on jackstands and installed a pair of 1/2 spacers for the rear wheels and decided to put it in drive to see if I have the parking brake issue still. Well a new issue came up, this time in the transfer case.

Its a New Process Gear 246GM; 272 gear ratio and it makes kind of a slapping metal to metal noise. It does it mostly in drive and is barely heard in reverse. The u-joints are new and the boot is not torn that I can see.

Are these transfer cases gear driven or chain driven?

*Oh its push button and as far as I know, Service 4WD is not on in the DIC
    Last edited by rileyjr16; 06-22-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added more info

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    Ok today's that kind of day that anything that is wrong with anything, it seems to be my stuff. A while ago, I had my rear end on jackstands and installed a pair of 1/2 spacers for the rear wheels and decided to put it in drive to see if I have the parking brake issue still. Well a new issue came up, this time in the transfer case.

Its a New Process Gear 246GM; 272 gear ratio and it makes kind of a slapping metal to metal noise. It does it mostly in drive and is barely heard in reverse. The u-joints are new and the boot is not torn that I can see.

Are these transfer cases gear driven or chain driven?

*Oh its push button and as far as I know, Service 4WD is not on in the DIC
    is it a constant noise or just occasional? My truck makes the same kinda noise at times. I think that it is the bushing for the slip yoke in the tail shaft of the transfercase. If i push up on it I can duplicate the noise

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Its a constant noise. Did listen to some youtube vids and the noise doesn't sound like the chain slap but who knows.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment

This is the video I am talking about. In the beginning you can hear the noise its making. This one turned out to be bearings. @Pikey

#!

Current:
    Future:

It is chain driven.

Thanks Alox. I'm almost at my wits end with this truck but eveything in my body says keep her. Might just buy a used t-case for $350 and have a family memeber who is an expert in gears and whatnot do a partial rebuild of the used one. Alot of electrical and mechanical needs to be fixed.

How much do you guys think a partial rebuild would cost?

Current:
    Future: