GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Troubleshooting- A Few Scan Codes...

All,

Wasn't able to scan but found some faulty wiring and blown fuses, now I've got the following:

Print out:
    P0300
    P0161
    P0141
    Read but unable to print:
    P0061
    P0286
    P0281

Looks like a root cause for many of these is a poor oxygen sensor, which I have 4 of. Is there any way to troubleshoot which sensor, or am I about to go drop $65 a pop on 4 new Bosch O2 sensors?

Let me know what you think. I'm currently working on a flush of the transmission system.

FYI (Moderators): I'm new to the site so if this should go in a different thread/section, please move or advise.

Thanks
    TJ
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS Z71 Ext Cab + Long Box
    2002 Suzuki SV650S
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi

Quote Originally Posted by Fraterado1855 View Post
    All,

Wasn't able to scan but found some faulty wiring and blown fuses, now I've got the following:

Print out:
    P0300
    P0161
    P0141
    Read but unable to print:
    P0061
    P0286
    P0281

Looks like a root cause for many of these is a poor oxygen sensor, which I have 4 of. Is there any way to troubleshoot which sensor, or am I about to go drop $65 a pop on 4 new Bosch O2 sensors?

Let me know what you think. I'm currently working on a flush of the transmission system.

FYI (Moderators): I'm new to the site so if this should go in a different thread/section, please move or advise.

Thanks
    TJ

TJ......Hope some of the Below Infor. can help you out??

......Code P0300.......is a Random Misfire
    ......Code P0141.......Is an Issue/Problem with the 02 on Bank 1 Sensor 2, Which is on the Driver Side, after the Catalytic Converter.
    ......Code P0161.......
    Is an Issue/Problem with the 02 on Bank 2 Sensor 2, which is on the Passenger Side, after the Catalytic Converter.

Edit....****Moved Thread to General Tech Q&A Section****
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-16-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Both of the O2 sensor codes are for the post cat sensors, which really have no effect on driveability. The post cat sensors' sole purpose is to determine if the cats are functioning adequately.

If the cats are plugged, that could cause problems.

P0300 can be caused by just about anything that can cause a misfire, including, but not limited to fuel delivery issues, spark plug/ignition issues, compression/valve train/mechanical condition issues, and so on.

My code list doesn't go below P0100, and shows P0286 as a problem on cylinder 9, so I'm not sure what to make of those codes, P0281 is a problem with cylinder 7 (similar to the P0300 code except specific to cylinder 7).

At this point, I'm not sure the codes by themselves are helping us a lot. I might put a vacuum gauge on it to see if clogged cats are indicated by the cat codes. What kind of driveability symptoms/problem are you diagnosing?
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Jr. Apprentice

I just finally fixed the OBD II diagnostic port plug and wanted to try and get everything in working order. The track stumbles at start-up (worsens with higher outdoor temperature) and I figured since I now know the codes I should do something about them.

I originally started this weekend to do some transmission work due to late shifts, which has turned out to be a bit rough.. I'll make a separate post on that.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS Z71 Ext Cab + Long Box
    2002 Suzuki SV650S
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi