GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default 86 Burb won't shift

Hey there. I have an 86 Suburbon, 4WD brand new 350 and now the 700R4 will not shift when I try to go. Reverse works great. everything that I have tried so far, from checking and adjusting the TV cable to the filter and fluid has not helped. Any ideas?

Welcome to GMTC. Who did the install? Was the tranny functional before the replacement motor?
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    Welcome to GMTC. Who did the install? Was the tranny functional before the replacement motor?
    My brother and I did the install. The tranny worked for a couple months, then started to crap out on me. If I had the Burb in 4WD it would act like it was slipping out of 4 high.

It's really sounding like the TV cable was not properly set (NOT adjusted) when the motor was replaced. There is no adjustment to the cable. It MUST be in a certain position relative to everything else and if not set in that position, the transmission will burn out quickly.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Apprentice

So how much of a pain would it be to swap the tail shafts from a 2wd tranny and the 4wd? I know that I would have to pull them both apart. I have never really gotten into an automatic much before.

That is a very good question, and one I do not have an answer for. I've though about doing that exact same thing in the past and didn't know if it was as easy as swapping the tailshaft, or required ripping the whole transmission apart to exchange output shafts. I do know there is a normal 700R4 case and a "K" 700R4 case, with the K being for 4WD usage. So, you would probably have to get a K case 700R4 to be able to bolt it up to a transfer case, unless you went with a divorced transfer case, but then you're talking fab work for the divorced x-case.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Apprentice

I have the case in my burb. I was thinking of putting the tranny from my wife's 88 Caprice in my rig to get the job done. After reading a few things though, I would have to pull both apart to put the good parts from hers into the case from mine.Then I'd have to rebuild hers. Maybe I'll just find one top swap and save myself a headache.