GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default New guy with a 99 sub 1500 has a ? hesitation problem.

Hey everyone I'm new here, I bought a 99 suburban a yr ago with 100k miles.
    I've had the intake gasket replaced new brakes and tires since, Now when I start up put in drive if I try and give it any good pressure on the pedal it hesitates. From my driveway it takes about halfway down the block for the power to kick in.
    It seems to only do this on start up and initial acceleration, not at any other speeds not taking of from stops.
    I tested it by driving around for awhile stopping turn off turn back on and go and did it's few second hesitation.
    Did this several times, same each time.

Any help,suggestions would be great!

Fuel pressure? You're at that milage range for the regulator and fuel pump switch out.

OK, I'm at 112k right now and I've heard about the fuel pumps on these things. Mine has had a noticeable buzzing sound when standing outside the cab,
    but it's done this since I got it almost exactly a year ago. Is that normal, or is that a death buzz?

Hard to say without actually hearing the noise whether it is normal sounding or not. Best test would be a fuel pressure test. Since the problem seems to only be present at cold start, make sure you test the fuel pressure before a cold start.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Pat10 View Post
    OK, I'm at 112k right now and I've heard about the fuel pumps on these things. Mine has had a noticeable buzzing sound when standing outside the cab,
    but it's done this since I got it almost exactly a year ago. Is that normal, or is that a death buzz?
    I've often read these pumps like to be wet. Gas is expensive so lots of folks run around on empty, probably not the best way to promote a long pump life.

Not saying it's your issue, just saying it may be something to consider.

Just off the top of my head, it sounds fuel-related. That narrows it down to pump, filter and injector(s)... Start with a pressure test, like the others suggested, as it should help narrow things down further.
    I like you.

Thanks for the input, I did a pressure test today and got 60 psi key to on without start and 50 with it started.
    I think it was 60-66 with key on and anything 3-10 psi under that with engine on that my manual shows.
    But its still doing its of the line hesitation.

Have you checked the fuel filter? You could have the pressure build up and show good on the gauge, but not have the flow when you first take off. When was the last time it was tuned up? plugs, wires? Did the problem start right after the intake manifold gasket was changed? If so then it may be sucking air. You can test that by spraying carb cleaner around the edges while it is idling, if the rpms go up then you found your leak. Also I would check the TB gasket with the same method.
    Last edited by Pikey; 03-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

x2.....on what Pikey has just mentioned above, and I'll add, when was the last time the Throttle Body-n-Injector's were Cleaned??

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

I'm gonna look at the filter tomorrow, and as for tb ad injectors I've never cleaned them myself but I have run 2 Bottles of techtron through the tank.
    Here is a pic the week I bought it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0352.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by