GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You have a great looking burb, I would look into a crate 502 to replace the 454. Should be a lot easier to find and I think you can get direct from GM even. If its rust and rot free and in overall decent shape, I'd keep her and drop a new motor. The new jeeps are nice looking but still a jeep and they carry their own list of issues including an underpowered v6 unless you explore a hemi option and then who knows what issues will happen

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4WD/Z71 Crew Cab Gray Green Metallic 6.0 Gas 6spd Auto 3.73 gears, HD locking rear differential. 18"Alum Wheels (Stock) Stock Michelin LTX AT-II Tires, Banks Monster Exhaust, Westin Platinum SS Oval Step Bars, EGR Window Deflectors, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Front and back Weathertech Digitech liners. Factory Remote Start with Onstar App on iPhone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE Black 4WD 4.2 175,000 Miles all original drivetrain and runs like a champ and no rust or rot!

Quote Originally Posted by Salesguy1980 View Post
    You have a great looking burb, I would look into a crate 502 to replace the 454. Should be a lot easier to find and I think you can get direct from GM even. If its rust and rot free and in overall decent shape, I'd keep her and drop a new motor. The new jeeps are nice looking but still a jeep and they carry their own list of issues including an underpowered v6 unless you explore a hemi option and then who knows what issues will happen
    What I was looking at is an 06 Unlimited Rubicon. Oddly enough I hear those motors are equally rare since the Chrysler BK. At any rate, that car doesn't look like an option.

The truck is a California car. Absolutely clean and solid. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make some calls on motors tomorrow.

Update...
    Called several places on crate motors. GM does have them. I'm looking at about $5500 installed.
    Last edited by Naptime; 06-20-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptime View Post
    The 5k is ballpark from the shop. Historically his ballpark is on the high side and the bill is less. However, he's telling me we may not be able to find a motor. I say "but they are all over the internet for sale". His response was to "just try and actually get one". So my only option might be to rebuild this one.

Greets,

Thats a shame, we have 454's all over up here pretty damn cheap. One down the block from me is out of a 96 burb with 100,000 for $700.00. and looking on CL for my area shows no less then 10 of em for under 1k. If ya wanted to go used. Another option you might want to try if your looking for a replacement 454 is to call local boat repair shops and local marina's, the 454 is a very popular boat motor

Nag.

.....ya clock faster and faster till the desire for speed overcomes the fear of bus.....

Quote Originally Posted by NagRuTan View Post
    Another option you might want to try if your looking for a replacement 454 is to call local boat repair shops and local marina's, the 454 is a very popular boat motor

Nag.
    Any around here have had saltwater run through them.

Any around here have had saltwater run through them.
    Greets,

Sorry, didn't even think of that one. Being in Michigan i always relate to fresh water stuff

Nag.

.....ya clock faster and faster till the desire for speed overcomes the fear of bus.....

If I had what you have already stuck into the truck, I would fix it, and keep it. Either a good low mile used motor from a salvage yard, or a new motor from either the dealer, or aftermarket. Get the 502 if you can, as you say you could use more power. That's a NICE lookin sub. I don't know where you are at, but believe me, you CAN find a motor if you want one. If I had the van I'm paying for now, I would offer to deliver whatever engine you need for the cost of fuel. I just helped move a TBI 454 for my friend last month. If your sub makes you as happy as driving my van makes me, NEVER LET HER GO.
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

Not sure why you're willing to give up... a new engine is still a lot cheaper than a new vehicle!
    I like you.

Who quoted you $5,500? if a dealership i would def shop this with other dealers and non dealers who have access to the same engine. Like buying a vehicle you need to shop for the best deal and take that price to your fav dealer or shop and ask them to beat it.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4WD/Z71 Crew Cab Gray Green Metallic 6.0 Gas 6spd Auto 3.73 gears, HD locking rear differential. 18"Alum Wheels (Stock) Stock Michelin LTX AT-II Tires, Banks Monster Exhaust, Westin Platinum SS Oval Step Bars, EGR Window Deflectors, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Front and back Weathertech Digitech liners. Factory Remote Start with Onstar App on iPhone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE Black 4WD 4.2 175,000 Miles all original drivetrain and runs like a champ and no rust or rot!

Quote Originally Posted by Salesguy1980 View Post
    Who quoted you $5,500? if a dealership i would def shop this with other dealers and non dealers who have access to the same engine. Like buying a vehicle you need to shop for the best deal and take that price to your fav dealer or shop and ask them to beat it.
    The shop wants 1500 for the swap. GM quoted 3743.00 for a reman, 300 back for core. I also called several internet sites, all were more. At least with GM I can drop off the core when I pick up the crate.

So it's 4943.00 I'm adding 500 for new stuff that will undoubtedly be needed. That may not end up being enough.

The shop wants 1500 for the swap. GM quoted 3743.00 for a reman, 300 back for core. I also called several internet sites, all were more. At least with GM I can drop off the core when I pick up the crate.

So it's 4943.00 I'm adding 500 for new stuff that will undoubtedly be needed. That may not end up being enough.
    Greets,

Should we start up a "Save Naptime's burb fund raiser"

Nag.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast