GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2004 Silverado 4.8l thermostat not working properly?

So i just noticed that my temp on the cluster is reading weird. I first noticed that it was showing that i was running warmer than normal (maybe a tick or 2 past midway, midway being normal.) I was on the freeway at this time so i thought that was really strange maybe at like 1,700-2k RPM which is normal for going 75mph on this flat straight stretch. I had no heat or a/c going at the time so I proceed to turn on my heat to maybe see if that would help. It did it went back to normal.

Today i was driving and it warmed up to normal, and than it stayed at the normal midway point on the cluster. THAN all the sudden it dropped to the (ahh forgive me i forget the temps that are written on there but it was at the first large slash so 1/4 of the temp that shows), and then went back up to normal maybe a little more than like 5 min later it did the same thing did a dramatic drop and stayed there for awhile.

Thanks. Sorry if there is any information i left out, or confusing at all.
    Last edited by VortecK1ng; 06-19-2012 at 10:39 PM.

I think you have a bad stepper motor in the cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by VortecK1ng View Post
    So i just noticed that my temp on the cluster is reading weird. I first noticed that it was showing that i was running warmer than normal (maybe a tick or 2 past midway, midway being normal.) I was on the freeway at this time so i thought that was really strange maybe at like 1,700-2k RPM which is normal for going 75mph on this flat straight stretch. I had no heat or a/c going at the time so I proceed to turn on my heat to maybe see if that would help. It did it went back to normal.

Today i was driving and it warmed up to normal, and than it stayed at the normal midway point on the cluster. THAN all the sudden it dropped to the (ahh forgive me i forget the temps that are written on there but it was at the first large slash so 1/4 of the temp that shows), and then went back up to normal maybe a little more than like 5 min later it did the same thing did a dramatic drop and stayed there for awhile.

Thanks. Sorry if there is any information i left out, or confusing at all.