GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Rear Suspension Rattle

Bought a 2000 silverado 10 years ago, and always had this rattle from the rear suspension. If I drive over a bump, pot hole etc. the front wheels no problem but the back wheels I get this rattle, like metal on metal. I've looked under the back and have asked 3 different mechanics to look at it, can't figure it out. All I can only imagine is eather the parking brakes or the leaf springs, what I can tell you is when I drive with the windows down it drives me nuts.

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! Presumably you've checked the bushings for the shocks?

Welcome to the club, Good to have you aboard.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Thank you for the welcome... I've checked the bushings, the appear to be ok. However, the shocks are going to be due for replacement soon.

Welcome to the club!

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

WELCOME to the club and enjoy the site.........

Legend

Blog Entries

I moved your thread to this section and changed the title to match your topic/question, thus you should receive some more responses.

Welcome to the Club!!!

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Quote Originally Posted by bake View Post
    Bought a 2000 silverado 10 years ago, and always had this rattle from the rear suspension. If I drive over a bump, pot hole etc. the front wheels no problem but the back wheels I get this rattle, like metal on metal. I've looked under the back and have asked 3 different mechanics to look at it, can't figure it out. All I can only imagine is eather the parking brakes or the leaf springs, what I can tell you is when I drive with the windows down it drives me nuts.
    Have someone check to see if your drive shaft is lubed....as it slides in the spline you can get that noise if it needs lubed. You have to pull the yoke etc...

Oh...I was gonna ask if it happens when you have a load in the truck....maybe there is a rubber stop on the bed that has gone missing.
    Last edited by sstoner911; 06-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

check your exhaust pipes make sure they are not rubbing against something

Also check the spare tire and tire hoist system.
    Ever tried laying under the truck while someone bounced it up and down to recreate the noise?