GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default New (old) Burb in the driveway and intro.

Hey guys, just wanted to drop in and say thanks for the great forum and for the wealth of information here. I've only had this Burb 2 days and I've already found tons of great info. I've been visiting off and on for a couple years when looking for info on my 2003 Burb.

So here's the new beast. It's a 99 K1500 with the usual 5.7 Vortec, 4L60E, NP246 (?? it has Autotrac, so I think this is right), 3.73 rear axle with the G80 option. It just rolled over to 180k miles. Other than the 4wd stuff, it'll need the usual GM rough idle issue addressed (advice appreciated!) and the door lock actuators replaced - all 4 of them, ugh. Other than that it's in really good shape.

I picked it up for a song, but here's the kicker. The PO removed the front driveshaft and halfshafts, and of course didn't include them when they sold the truck. I'm hoping it was done for economy purposes and not because the TC or front diff is hosed. We shall see soon enough.

The grille guard is already off. I just didn't like the look of it. If anyone in the DFW area wants it, I posted it on CL for $125.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics!

Legend

Blog Entries

Nice looking Burb! I looks like it's in great shape both inside and out. Great color scheme too

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Looks nice. So how much different compares to the 03?
    I currently have a 88 (easy to work on ) and thinking about moving to a "newer" model in the future but don't know much about it.
    It will be great if you can share some info between the 2 model years. Thanks

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mfleetwood View Post
    Nice looking Burb! I looks like it's in great shape both inside and out. Great color scheme too
    Thanks! I looked high and low for this particular color scheme with cloth interior.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanstruck View Post
    Looks nice. So how much different compares to the 03?
    I currently have a 88 (easy to work on ) and thinking about moving to a "newer" model in the future but don't know much about it.
    It will be great if you can share some info between the 2 model years. Thanks
    There are quite a few differences. The only repairs on the 03 that I've done is intake manifold gasket and replaced the alternator. The front (accessory drive) and top (intake/fuel injection) of the engines are completely different, so I'm sure I'll be finding out very soon which one is easier to work on. The 03 intake gasket was a piece of cake. The whole intake/injection unit lifted off as one unit with just a few nuts and bolts. And the alternator literally took me 10 minutes. I spent more time washing my hands afterwards lol.

This weekend I'm tackling the rough idle on the 99. I'll be cleaning the TB and IAC valve, and I might just go ahead and replace the manifold gasket. Plugs, wires, coil, cap and rotor are on the list too. (Weird having a distributor again after all these years)

Anyone have any sage advice on curing the rough idle? My interwebs research tells me this is a pervasive problems with many possible solutions. I have no CEL on btw, so I don't the the computer is going to be any help with codes.

Quote Originally Posted by pacman1 View Post
    The grille guard is already off. I just didn't like the look of it. If anyone in the DFW area wants it, I posted it on CL for $125.
    Smart move. Good looking truck.

Jr. Apprentice

Grille guard is sold! You guys missed out on a real gem lol.