GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Red face Wiring for Electric Trailer Brakes

Greetings:

Have a 1998 Suburban 1500 that I am wiring for electric trailer brakes. Have everything in but the wire that goes to the brake switch - can't get my old, fat hand up high enough to grab it. Since there is only one bulb (or set of wires that go to the brake light I can't run it to there. Does anyone have a tip or trick on where to connect the brake signal wire to? The vehicle does not have a heavy duty towing package - at least not that I can find. All it had was the four connector at the rear. For enticement some home made chipotle chile powder for the right answer.

thanks - NMTROUT

You should be able to drop a cover on the lower center dash to get to the brake switch wire. It's way up there, but you should be able to get it. Then, under the hood stuffed between the firewall and the wheel well should be an orange and blue wire for the electric brakes. I don't think there's anywhere else convenient to get the brake switch. I'm not sure if a wiring harness exists to plug into the junction box to get all the wiring for a brake controller.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks Crawdaddy - I will go try it now. Greatly appreciate it - do you like Chipotle powder - made out of home grown peppers but no Jalapenos (Habaneros instead).

I've been meaning to do this for awhile...

This is what I used on my truck (99 K2500 Sub) On the left kick panel distribution block is a spot marked "NAT", just above the relays. The right terminal is the cold side of the brake and the left terminal is the parking light circuit. USE YOUR TESTER TO BE SURE.

Put your test light on the right terminal and push the brake pedal - if it lights, you're in business!

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Jr. Apprentice

Absolutely awesome Kidhauler - many many thanks! Do you want Chipotle powder also (not too hot but keep it away from the kids)?

Hey, no problem. This question comes up a bunch, but I don't remember to bring the camera outside.

And the kids are tough, send it...

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Jr. Apprentice

Default Thanks

Please - please send the mailing address to nmtrout@comcast.net. Then it is on it's way.

Thanks again - Ted Kircher in Albuquerque

Jr. Apprentice

TOTAL SUCCESS!!! KidHauler gave me information that even the dealership here had no idea on. He ROCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    I've been meaning to do this for awhile...

This is what I used on my truck (99 K2500 Sub) On the left kick panel distribution block is a spot marked "NAT", just above the relays. The right terminal is the cold side of the brake and the left terminal is the parking light circuit. USE YOUR TESTER TO BE SURE.

Put your test light on the right terminal and push the brake pedal - if it lights, you're in business!

Good luck,
    Nice setup

San Angelo most of the time, Houston at others

I know this thread is a little old, but I'm about to install a trailer brake setup on my 98 Suburban. Finding this thread just made my job a helluvalot easier.
    1998 K1500 Suburban
    1977 Chevelle Malibu

"I'm proud to defend your right to be an idiot!" From a friend in the military.