GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Leaking power steering fluid and antifreeze

I was wondering if anyone has ever change a water pump. I have an 02 Silverado 4.8. A friend says you need a special tool to break the fan loose for removal. I saw a video on youtube and they just used a big cresant wrench.I also have a power steering fluid leak but can't really tell where it is leaking from. The truck has 57k on it. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

I don't know where you are, but in USA we have Autozone, with free tool loans for special jobs. I have done a few water pumps, but not on that new a truck. Just be careful and don't let your tools fall forward into the radiator, or you will have another nice leak. The power steering pump hoseshave cheap crimps, replace them if the metal ends are dry, but the area where the crimp ends an d the rubber begins is wet. If the bottom of the pump is wet, you need to check the hose nuts, and the front seal, and look for a trail of wetness. Wipe it all down until it's dry and after a run, the leak should be easy to see, if you have a flashlight with a right angle head, it will help under the truck. You can try the Lucas stopleak but all that will really do is slow it down.
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

Thanks Brian! I am in Illinois. I forgot about Autozones tool rental.The fan and the surpentine belt removal are the things that got me scared. I will have to do some cleaning up around the steering pump and hoses than maybe I can narrow it down. Thanks again for your help.

If you've never removed a serpentine belt before, I would recomend you take a picture of it so you can see how the belt was ran. The diagrams are not always the best from my experience. And the removal is super simple for those two things. The fan shrouds is what got me frustrated when I replaced my power steering pump.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light

+1 on HD, You need a acurate and clear idea of the serp belt layout, draw it up, and ger it right before removal, if you have any doubts. The tennsioner is a pully what sits near the top of the engine that has nothing attached to it. It's spring loaded, you just take a long wrench and put it on and pull vertically and it will rotate allowing removal of the belt from one of the other pullys. Take the belt, and turn it inside out and flex it and look for cracks in the ridges, if you see any or it looks bald or damaged, replace it.When you reinstall the belt, resist the urge to do the tensioner last, isolate either the alternator or the compressor, whichever is the top most pully, that has a long straight run to it, and use that as the last pully, thread the belt through the bottom ones, and the underside of the tennsioner, once you are ready move the tennsioner up, and bring the belt up and over the final pully, double check all the pullys to make sure the belt is fully on, and I even spin or crank the engine to be sure it is on before moving on. A good tipoff the front seal on the power steering pump is gone is the back side of its pully being wet with fluid. Or if the hose ends and crimps are dry, but the top of one or more hoses is wet right under the pump. This is an ideal time to check the crimps on your engine oil cooler lines. they will be easier to replace now with the shroud off. Indeed, if you don't have an external tranny cooler, or engine oil cooler, now is the time to add them. Glad you liked my post, positive feedback is the only payback we get arround here.
    Let us know how it goes, and good luck. I was out yesterday pulling the oil pan and timing cover off a 454 that's going in a 85 Sub. Been a while since I saw a timing cover with two tabs on it. WTF? Can't wait to hear that beasty run, your's too for that matter, good luck..
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

Thanks again guys for the help. It is MUCH appreciated! I'll let you know how it goes.