GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: VIN# question

Default VIN# question

I have a 1997 5.7 Vortec engine and trans. Is the VIN located anywhere on these parts? thx matt

It should be on a flat spot on the front of the engine block. Not sure about the tranny

Quote Originally Posted by clonestocker View Post
    I have a 1997 5.7 Vortec engine and trans. Is the VIN located anywhere on these parts? thx matt
    Where exactly would that be? matt

The engine id is stamped (V8 engines) on a pad near the front of the passenger side of the block. It is near the top of the block, by the valve cover.

The vehicle VIN (and, I'm not sure if it is the complete VIN, or just some of the VIN information) can be found in different locations depending upon year and block. Some are near the engine ID, some may be near the oil filter and some may be at the rear near the bell housing.

I would enter the engine ID into a search engine and see if the location of VIN can be located.

The tranny ID is usually on the bell housing, the VIN should be there as well.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

It should be in front of the passenger side head on the block. http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/sblock.php
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    The engine id is stamped (V8 engines) on a pad near the front of the passenger side of the block. It is near the top of the block, by the valve cover.

The vehicle VIN (and, I'm not sure if it is the complete VIN, or just some of the VIN information) can be found in different locations depending upon year and block. Some are near the engine ID, some may be near the oil filter and some may be at the rear near the bell housing.

I would enter the engine ID into a search engine and see if the location of VIN can be located.

The tranny ID is usually on the bell housing, the VIN should be there as well.
    There is a VIN type # on the machined pad at the rear of the trans but the #'s don't match anything VIN like. Thanks I'll keep looking. matt

That is the engine ID, only info about that engine.

Enter the ID into google and see if there is any VIN location info online

The VIN number will not be on the engine or transmission at all. The VIN was only stamped onto the VIN plate and a few different spots on the body and frame. The VIN stays with the vehicle, where the engine and transmission don't neccisarily.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage