GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Looks like the first thing I need to do is what my gut feeling said - fix the exhaust 1st.

Gears - I'm not sure how to look up the codes to find the gear ratio.

Engine size - the sticker is wiped clean. No information is legible. I just assumed it was the 5.3 by the severe lack of power.

As for my driving habits - I'm getting 13-14 MPG's..... I drive pretty dang conservative, lol. I would hate to see it if I were heavy footed!

Quote Originally Posted by texastito View Post
    Thanks everybody for the replies.

Looks like the first thing I need to do is what my gut feeling said - fix the exhaust 1st.

Gears - I'm not sure how to look up the codes to find the gear ratio.

Engine size - the sticker is wiped clean. No information is legible. I just assumed it was the 5.3 by the severe lack of power.

As for my driving habits - I'm getting 13-14 MPG's..... I drive pretty dang conservative, lol. I would hate to see it if I were heavy footed!
    If you go to the Link below, and Enter your Trucks Vin# Number, it will show you what the Truck Came with from the Factory, from What Engine....Transmission....and Gears, to the Color of the Interior,

Link,
    http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Cool, thanks for that. Found out the following interesting info:

Gears - 3.73
    Engine - 5.3L
    Tires/Wheel - 265/65/18 - 18x8aluminum
    PKG - 1LZ; 1SZ

Quote Originally Posted by texastito View Post
    Cool, thanks for that. Found out the following interesting info:

Gears - 3.73
    Engine - 5.3L
    Tires/Wheel - 265/65/18 - 18x8aluminum
    PKG - 1LZ; 1SZ
    Do you know, if the owner had the Speedometer Re-Calibrated, for the Change in Tire Size, the reason I ask is, the 265/65/18's that came with the Truck, have an Overall Diameter of 31.5ins'.......and your Tires now, have an Overall Diameter of 33ins" Correct??.....if he didn't and because of this Difference in the 2 tire sizes, not only is your Speedometer off, but also the Odometer, so your not getting a Correct Fuel Mileage Reading.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-26-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Corrected Spelling

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Many shops that swap gears either stamp the new gear ratio into the pumpkin or use one of the diff cover bolts to hold a tag with the new ratio. Yes I know not all shops do this but you may find one. I would do as your gut and many others have said and correct the exhuast first.
    An easy and free thing that may surprise you as 99heartbeat pointed out you may be getting better mileage than you thought. Have a friend ride next to you on the highway and check your speedo against their speedo, or if you have a GPS that gives the speed compare the two.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    you clearly know more about the LTZ trim packages than I do (I thought they came with 18" wheels),
    I should of stayed out of the discussion, hahaha, I provided wheel info from the Avalanche. I just looked up the Siverado LTZ, and the standard wheels are 18". The 20" wheels are options..........SORRY....
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Still haven't corrected the exhaust yet (low on funds to have it "corrected"). I will at least cut off the capped side soon to see how the performance changes. Ill have to start another thread asking about exhaust systems.

I DL'd a speedometer app on my phone that's supposed to be fairly accurate (uses GPS). This morning I was going 70mph, and the app read 71-73. Either way, if the truck speedo was off, it'd be the opposite way..

I would get that capped off side opened up right away... it is going to make a big difference. I am surprised it doesnt overheat... it should run similar as if the cat being plugged. It will be loud inside without the tailpipe but will be worth the hp and mileage being restored.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

LIKE your truck man!! that's nice, tough lookin'... ^ ^ ^ ^ ;)
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

Finally removed the cap from the outlet. Whoa! The performance was noticed IMMEDIATELY! Quicker response and not bogged down! Felt like a new truck.

No accurate MPG test yet, but travelling across Houston I got 15.9mpg, which is Freakin outstanding!!!! Previously it would have been right at about 13.5mpg.

Definitely a large tonal difference as well. Deeper and louder growl. Nice!

Will update when I get a more accurate MPG reading from my trip this wknd.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12