GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default merchandise returns @ auto parts stores

From my experience, chain hardware stores (eg, Home Depot, OSH, etc) readily refund my money I when I try to return their merchandise--provided that it is still in good condition and I show them the receipt.

Until recently, I haven't really done much work on my cars other than oil changes. So, I've never needed to return anything to an auto parts store before. Do chain auto parts stores (eg, Kragen, Pep Boys) typically accept returned (non-special order) auto parts?

I'm 75% sure my washer control module needs to be replaced, but I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not I can return the new module if the old one isn't broken.

Thanks.
    2003 GMC Yukon Denali
    San Jose, CA

Former Member

I would guess they do as long as it wasn't filthy or damaged. Of course, there is usually a core charge on most parts so if you return your old part you'll get some money back.

I know I've returned quite a few items to autozone for various reasons, and they have never given me a problem with returning something. I bring the receipt and the item in and they refund me. An odd quirk I've noticed with auto zone is they don't refund in kind (ie debit to a credit to debit, cash to cash, etc). I never carry cash, so I buy my parts with my debit card. When I go to return stuff, they refund me in cash... Not a big gripe, in fact, it's sometimes nice, especially with how long credits usually take to complete through the bank....
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Thanks for the feedback. In case anyone's curious, here's what I've learned:

Don't be a "parts swapper." It's bad etiquette, and it raises the price for everyone else. Invest the time to learn how to rule out all of the other components before buying the replacement part. Avoid returning parts unless they're defective.
    2003 GMC Yukon Denali
    San Jose, CA

The only parts I've ever heard of with "return" problems were "electrical" parts. It is easy to "short out" a part and then return it. May not be a problem, but ask before you buy. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Master Mechanic

I have no problem returning something I don't need, I usually just exchange it for something else. special ordered items usually aren't returnable,unless defective
    Jeff

1968 Chrysler Imperial Crown 4 door ht ~ resto project
    1984 Buick Le Sabre 4 door sedan~daily driver

BUY ONLY GENUINE ACME PRODUCTS

Got to agree with retired on this one. Matter of fact my local NAPA has a sign on the wall behind the counter that says they don’t take returns on electrical parts for just the reason mentioned by retired.

I do have a pretty good rapport with them though and have returned electrical parts that lasted only a few days.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.