GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Jr. Engineer lsutoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    baton rouge louisiana
    Posts
    281

    Default Air compressor help

    I have a viar 380c compressor in my truck. It's hooked up to a 5 gallon tank used to run air horns and also to fill tires etc. the compressor is kicking on but never kicks off because it is not putting any pressure into the tank. The relay is suppose to turn it on at 120 psi and off at 180 psi. Both the compressor and tank are rated for 200 psi. Any ideas what might be wrong? What I could check? It does not sound like it is running at its full capacity at all. I've since pulled the fuse out so it will not run constantly since I'm currently on a 11 hour drive to tennessee
    "I'll Sleep When I Die"



    2009 Chevy Silverado LT1
    295/70/17 Toyo MT's
    2" rough country leveling kit
    CAI
    magnaflow exhaust
    custom tune
    spray in Line-X bedliner
    deep low profile took box
    6000K HID's
    5% + 20% tint on door windows and rear + layer of 10% rear glass and 5% tint strip
    2 12" Kicker CVT's
    custom sub boxes
    1000 watt hifonics sub amp
    4 6.5" hifonics door speakers
    4 hifonics tweeters
    320 watt hifonics amp
    Quad bell train horn
    5 gallon air tank with 100% duty Viar compressor
    galls street thunder deluxe siren/PA

  2. #2

    Default

    When you say it kicks on does it start when you start the truck? If it starts automatically it sounds like the pressure switch has either gone bad or is wired incorrectly. Because it is the pressure switch that is supposed to tell the comp to turn on/off depending on the pressure in the tank. The place I would start to troubleshoot is to check that wiring. Now if it worked before it may be as simple as a wire coming loose or something like that. If that doesn't work than it has to be the switch.

  3. #3
    Jr. Engineer lsutoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    baton rouge louisiana
    Posts
    281

    Default

    It turns on when I turn my truck on and turns off when I turn it off. It's been hooked up for almost 3 years so I know that it is wired right. Are pressure switches expensive?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lsutoms View Post
    the compressor is kicking on but never kicks off because it is not putting any pressure into the tank.
    If it's not putting any pressure in the tank the compressor itself could be worn and ready for a rebuild.
    Do you have a pressure gauge to tell where the tanks at?

  5. #5

    Default

    It's hard to troubleshoot when your not there but I am a technician and I work on air compressors all the time as well as sell new ones. It sounds to me like you need to clean the valves, they are disc valves that act as check valves and they need to be cleaned about once a year. Just be very careful to put them back together correctly. Let me know if this helps or you need any thing else.


    2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lsutoms View Post
    I have a viar 380c compressor in my truck. It's hooked up to a 5 gallon tank used to run air horns and also to fill tires etc. the compressor is kicking on but never kicks off because it is not putting any pressure into the tank. The relay is suppose to turn it on at 120 psi and off at 180 psi. Both the compressor and tank are rated for 200 psi. Any ideas what might be wrong? What I could check? It does not sound like it is running at its full capacity at all. I've since pulled the fuse out so it will not run constantly since I'm currently on a 11 hour drive to tennessee
    My guess is you have a leak somewhere. If your pressure valve was not operating your tank would fill until it reached the max pressure then blow the safety switch. If the compressor runs and never builds pressure you have a leak either in a line or bad valves on the compressor etc...

    I have a similar compressor for my train horns and when summer hits that's when you find out if you ran a line to close to something that gets hot..over time it weakens the line and you eventually develop a leak.


    GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

    If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

    Get the Gorilla!

    gorilladip.com

    sales@gorilladip.com

  7. #7
    Jr. Engineer lsutoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    baton rouge louisiana
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donyms View Post
    It's hard to troubleshoot when your not there but I am a technician and I work on air compressors all the time as well as sell new ones. It sounds to me like you need to clean the valves, they are disc valves that act as check valves and they need to be cleaned about once a year. Just be very careful to put them back together correctly. Let me know if this helps or you need any thing else.


    How exactly do I clean the valves. I have never done this in the 2.5 years I've had it

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lsutoms View Post
    How exactly do I clean the valves. I have never done this in the 2.5 years I've had it
    I'm not very familiar with your compressor but I believe you have to remove the head to access the valves. They should be stainless steel valves and they claim they do not require service but they do sell a rebuild kit. Call this number for Tech support on your compressor 321-288-1655 Also the part number for the head rebuild kit is RK019 if those people wont talk to you the consumer let me know and I will call them, they will talk to a technician. Let me know how it goes.

Similar Threads

  1. A/C compressor oil? where does it go?
    By 97burban in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last: 06-24-2013, 10:08 AM
  2. AC Compressor
    By ruebeng28 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last: 10-19-2009, 10:00 PM
  3. AC compressor
    By 99 Z71 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last: 08-17-2009, 12:34 PM
  4. A/c compressor...
    By bUCKOLA in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 12
    Last: 07-22-2009, 04:47 PM
  5. WTB Want to Buy A/C Compressor
    By thePhilster in forum General Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last: 06-24-2008, 07:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •