GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default A/C Questions 95 Silverado

Hello, I have a question about my A/C system. Does anyone know how much refrigerant oil does a new compressor and an accumulator take as I will be replacing both (from empty)? I can't drain out the old refrigerant and see because the guy already drained it from the compressor and did not want to continue. I believe the system takes 8 oz pag from empty. If this is correct, how much should I add the compressor and accumulator. is it 1/2 and 1/2 in each or less in the accumulator. NOTE: I will be flushing the whole system.

Depends on the compressor. If you have the long one, it might take 8, althuogh that sounds a tick high... If you have the short "Pancake" one, I believe that one takes 4.

Also, make sure to use the right PAG oil. They are NOT all the same. You want (I believe) PAG 130. Verify that before taking my word for it.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

I have another question. I shorted the low pressure switch after installing the compressor and I was wondering, does shorting the low pressure switch verify that the electrical side of things are working? What components are there in the A/C system that would cause it to still blow hot after verifying that there are no leaks and that it has the correct amount of refrigerant in it and the system has no blockages? Is this possible? I can get the compressor to run at my will when I short the lps "by using the fan speed toggle" does this mean im in the clear when I go to refill it that I will have cold air? I am just curious as I am kind of new to automotive stuff.

It takes 8 ounces of PAG 150.
    If you refill it and plug the switch back in, it should work fine on its own. Electrically, it should be fine.
    What are your high side and low side readings, and about how hot was it outside when you took the readings?

OK, So I pour all 8 oz in the compressor and none in the accumulator? I just want to get the oil right in the compressor and I believe that everything should work. All my actuators work properly, and the fan is fine. Does my 95 have a cabin air filter? I don't think it does. Oh and my pressure on high was about 200 I believe and low stayed at around 43-47. It was quite warm. I have one final question. Can I remove the evaporator on that truck w/o removing the whole dash? It looks like I can.

Pour it all in the compressor. However, you don't need to add any if it's already full. Any oil you added to the line is in the compressor by now.
    No, there's no cabin filter.
    Your pressure sounds okay, but if it was pretty hot outside, you may still be a bit low on freon.
    In order to remove the evaporator, you have to take the whole dash out. I highly doubt you'll need to, though. If it was clogged, your pressure would be really high.
    Last edited by Chris Miller; 06-27-2012 at 10:46 AM.

Thank you very much Chris. You have been very helpful, and I will go and check pressures again this evening. Also, thanks to moogvo for the advice.

Hey, does anyone know if new condensers come with orifice tube pre-installed? It looks like the one I picked up has one already, but I want to be sure. Thanks, Jordan.

Some models have it in the condenser, others have it in the line nearby. Follow the line from the condenser and look for a crimp in the line about 3 inches below the fitting. If you've got a tube in the line, you don't need the one in the condenser.

Jr. Mechanic

Be careful with the Orifice tube in a new condenser. Mine came with the wrong size for my Chevy Truck.

Also, here is a paper about oil totals in Compressors. http://www.rtitech.com/downloads/New...Compressor.pdf . It says no more than 3 total in the Compressor. I would think the other 5 would go to the accumulator if 8 oz is correct.
    95 Chevy Silverado
    Beat up by hail and a faulty tow truck
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles