GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default High Miles - Looking for tips to extend engine life

My name is Gus and I need your help! Just acquired a 1994 Chev 4x4 Silverado with 275,000mi. It seems strong but has a rear main oil leak (not major) and trans or drive train noise. Looking for any input that could extend the life of the truck. It does not burn oil, starts every time and will do every bit of 70mph+ when I want it to. I have an OBDII reader and I think this car is OBDI, is it true that I can use a converter cable to read with OBDII unit?

A little about me I am a Jaguar owner 4 times and produce www.jagrepair.com I know this is far from a Chev truck but we (wife and I) retired to Woodstock Va and found we needed a truck and so that is what I got. I had a car lift (9000lbs) installed in one of the bays in the garage to help me with my articles on Jag repairs and I think I will be using it often with the truck. I can and will turn a wrench when necessary.

Welcome to the club Gus, it's good to have you with us.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Welcome to the site from Roanoke,VA.

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club!

Welcome to the club!

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Welcome, lots of great mod info and support here, enjoy the forum!

Click the ^banner^ and save up to 15% on Chevy mods.
    We price match, simply call 888-591-8563 or
    Click-to-Chat and
    we'll beat ANY price by $1.

*View our 2011 Silverado Build Page here

Legend

Blog Entries

*****Thread Moved*****

I moved your thread to this section and changed the title so that you will get more responses to your questions.

Yes, your vehicle year is OBD1 -- Click the following link for more info about it.....and Welcome to the Club!!!

http://www.extreme-check-engine-ligh...%20Decoder.htm

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

Welcome to the asylum, ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER WITHIN. Use the truck as little as needed until that noise is sorted out. I run Duralube in all my engines, and their trans treatment in all my diffs, Tcases, and trannys. Some will say it's snake oil, but I have seen a marked improvement in performance, and reliability. This will not give you a new truck, but it should slow down the friction that is slowly eating it alive. Once again welcome.
    Brian L.

Brian Larson CST. KC9DAK.
    Janesville WI.
    87 GMC G20 6.2 diesel.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I was poking around the truck today to see what I was up against and to make my todo list. I cleaned the TB and cleaned and treated the K&N filter and I noticed a little oil at the intake manifold left side and I think it is coming from the valve cover so replacing them is on my list and along with it the thermostat. I was told that the Trans fluid was replaced and when I checked it and it looked clean. I thought about adding an additive but wanted to see what others felt about doing that. In the past I used BG ATC Plus with good results, I am a big fan of BG products and BG44k.

Man I would love to have a lift in my garage! But back to the question at hand. I used Motorcote in my ZR2 and had no problems. It is something that now sells at WalMart ( a store you will not find me in) and they also sell it on their website. It is similar to Zmax in that is soaks into the metal to help reduce friction at start up as well as during operation. The other thing I would do is replace the fluids in the Tcase as well as the diffs as you can tell a bit by how it looks when it comes out. Also when take the dif cover off and check to see what kind of metal chips may be present. Also check to see any wear or damage to the ring and pinion. It probably wouldn't hurt to pull the plugs. Plugs can tell a lot about how the motor is running and possibly forcast any future issues. Congrats on the new truck!
    Oh and welcome to the club!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by