GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Time to replace Brake Pads

I purchased used 2008 Suburban, 4wd and need to replace brake pads, I want to get good pads that will last but not spend a fortune, any recommendations, on ceramic vs OE ceramic or whatever other choices there are. I plan to purchase at O'Reillys or AutoZone unless you dont recommend that.

Quote Originally Posted by kroewe View Post
    I purchased used 2008 Suburban, 4wd and need to replace brake pads, I want to get good pads that will last but not spend a fortune, any recommendations, on ceramic vs OE ceramic or whatever other choices there are. I plan to purchase at O'Reillys or AutoZone unless you dont recommend that.
    To the Site......

Here is some Information that can help you with which Brake pads, you may want to go with, its regarding the Difference Between Metallic Vs Ceramic Brake Pads

• Metallic Construction
      • Although manufacturers do their best to keep their brake pad recipes secret, a little dissection will quickly show that metallic and semi-metallic brake pads are composed primarily of steel, brass, and copper shavings that are held together by an ultra-strong resin.

Ceramic Construction

• The alternative to metallic brake pads is the ceramic option. Ceramic brake pads are composed primarily of filler materials and a very strong resin; some brands include minute amounts of copper in the mix to lengthen the life of the pad.

Metallic Pros

• The best thing about metallic or semi-metallic brake pads is that they are cheap and durable. Because they are composed mainly of metal combinations, they will not wear down quickly, and are slow to become too hot from friction.

Metallic Cons

• Downsides to metallic brake pads include the loud squealing sound that drivers frequently complain about as brakes are applied. This results from brake pad vibrations as the metal of the pad grates against the metal of the brake rotor. The result of this violent meeting between equal materials is that the rotor can become grooved or worn over time, and will eventually need to be replaced when there isn't enough material left for repairs.

Ceramic Pros

• Ceramic brake pads offer a much quieter and more reliable braking solution to drivers. This is because the materials in the ceramic mixture vibrate in a range outside that of normal human hearing, which gives the impression of a very quiet stop every time. In addition, ceramic brake pads do not become heated as quickly, and become cooler faster, which helps to eliminate brake fade over long downhill courses.

Ceramic Cons

• The downside to ceramic pads is that they are much more expensive than their metallic counterparts. Some auto enthusiasts claim that this expense is offset by the lack of rotor damage caused by the pads, plus the time and hassle that is saved from having to occasionally replace rotors.

The 2 Brake Pads Most often mentioned are from......Hawk....EBC.....
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Sr. Engineer

I went with the O'Reily ceramic best, one level up from stock and they have been a good pad so far, I think around 12000 miles on them. They replaced an almost new, at least judging by the amount of pad left, car quest pro pads. I couldn't get the old pads to engage the anti-lock but the new ones still do without alot of pedal pressure.
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

i would say Hawk also, try autoanything its where i got mine, real good prices too
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Powertrain:
    4.3L V6, 4L60E, 2WD, Single Cab
    Performance:
    Airaid CAI
    Poweraid TB Spacer
    Flowmaster 10-series exhaust (dumped)
    BLACKBEAR TUNED!!!
    Edge CS insight monitor
    4.10 gears
    Limited-slip differential
    LS-1 Dual Electric fans
    Corvette tranny servo swap

Audio:
    Head Unit: Alpine
    Speakers: Alpine SPR-60C 6.5" component set, 4X6 Infinity Kappas
    Subs: 2-12" Kicker CVT's
    Amps: Alpine-M1000 (subs), Alpine MRX-F65 (Speakers)

Tires/Wheels:
    305/70R16 NITTO Terra Grapplers
    16" PROCOMP 7089's
    Suspension:
    2" leveling kit
    3" Fabtech Spindle Lift Kit
    Front/Rear-Bilstein 5100 shocks

Lighting:
    FRONT
    35W HID Low Beams
    RECON LED smoked roof cab lights
    REAR