GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID Suggestions

Default HID Suggestions

I am going to be getting HIDs for my 2012 Silverado 1500 Lows Highs and Fogs. What do you suggest getting?

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT 5.3
    Black Westin Brush Guard
    Blacked Out Bowties
    30% Tint Front Side Windows
    15% Tint Front

Blog Entries

I went with 55W 5000K for my lows and 35W 5000k for my fogs,, they have the same color output, but the 55W are a brighter white. I don't like having the blue/purple ghetto junk so i went with something classy.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

Leveling kit and tires coming soon.

Leaving for boot camp at MCRDSD 20121008.

I just did 35w low beams and was told its not a good idea to do the high beams because there is a 3-5 second delay for the HID's to warm up when switching between high and low beams so you are with out any light long enough that the potential to wreck or hit something is there.

Where did you get the 55w kit/ballasts from? I wanted to go 55w in the low beams but I was told that there are allot of problems with the 55w ballasts?

Blog Entries

I get all my HID needs from ddmtuning.com and I've never had any issues with their kits. I got their slim digital ballast on my GTO and I got the regular raptor HID kits on my pick ups.

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, there is no need to embarrass him."

2012 Silverado 1500 Texas Edition 4x4 LT skid plate, 5000k 55W low beams with DRL fuse removed, 5000k 35W fog lamps.

I purchased mine,35w 5000k low beam from VVME. they were Hella ballasts and i also used a relay kit (which is highly recommended) that was all plug and play. X2 on the high beam unless you do a lot of rural driving as the constant on/ off cycle will shorten the life of bulb and ballast
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

I agree with Ridyn, I've always purchased my HID's from DDMtuning... I did though, have a problem with my fog light ballasts, they both seemed to go out, at separate times, but they have a life time warranty, so no biggie right? WRONG!!! I can't get through to any customer service agents to get my kits replaced.... Bummer.
    00 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Ridyn View Post
    I get all my HID needs from ddmtuning.com and I've never had any issues with their kits. I got their slim digital ballast on my GTO and I got the regular raptor HID kits on my pick ups.
    Ridyn,

Is there a reason why you went with the slim ballast on the GTO and regular raptor on your pick-up (other than size)? I'm thinking about picking up two kits (low & fog).
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 4x4
    Sun Roof, Navigation, Rhino Bed, Rhino Under, PlastiDip Rear Bumper, PlastiDip Bow Ties, PlastiDip Running Boards, LED Taillights, LED Parking Lamps, LED Interior Dome, LED Turn Arrows, Back-up Camera, Tri-Fold Tonneau, HID 5000K Fogs, Lows

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ffdsmokeeater View Post
    Ridyn,

Is there a reason why you went with the slim ballast on the GTO and regular raptor on your pick-up (other than size)? I'm thinking about picking up two kits (low & fog).
    It was purely because of the size, the GTO has plenty of room for the raptor ballasts, but I wanted to hide them very well in the GTO because I used it for car shows and just wanted a cleaner install. My truck, not so worried since it's not going to be used for show at all.
    Last edited by Ridyn; 08-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridyn View Post
    It was purely because of the size, the GTO has plenty of room for the raptor ballasts, but I wanted to hide them very well in the GTO because I used it for car shows and just wanted a cleaner install. My truck, not so worried since it's not going to be used for show at all.
    Ah, ok cool. I think I'm going to go with the slim ballasts for my truck anyway. Just to hid them even better. Did you opt for the recommended "two in two out" wiring harness for the 55 watt kit?
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 4x4
    Sun Roof, Navigation, Rhino Bed, Rhino Under, PlastiDip Rear Bumper, PlastiDip Bow Ties, PlastiDip Running Boards, LED Taillights, LED Parking Lamps, LED Interior Dome, LED Turn Arrows, Back-up Camera, Tri-Fold Tonneau, HID 5000K Fogs, Lows

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ffdsmokeeater View Post
    Ah, ok cool. I think I'm going to go with the slim ballasts for my truck anyway. Just to hid them even better. Did you opt for the recommended "two in two out" wiring harness for the 55 watt kit?
    No I did not, I normally only purchase things that people have commented on using before so I didn't go with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast