GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Suburban Steering Shaft Issue

My 1999 GMC Suburban (K1500 SLT 4WD, 189,450 miles) has a lot of slop in the steering traceable to the intermediate shaft area. All the lower parts of the steering shaft outside the firewall (engine compartment) and all the steering gear and linkage checks out really good, but in the passenger compartment is where it gets weird. Fresh alignment is all tight to factory spec. But I still get about 2-3 inches of slop and it does not matter if the engine is running or not.

The intermediate shaft does NOT have a typical universal joint like my Chilton's book or many after market places display. I have hear it referred to as a "Flex Joint". I have heard that in the tilt steering assembly that there is a sort of "U" joint inside there which to me makes sense that if it is damaged or worn out it would produce slop.

I can't seem to find anyone who knows where to get the parts and it is driving me nuts , and I am concerned it will fail soon. I have attached a picture of the upper steering intermediate shaft (inside passenger compartment) just in case some of you out there have seen this type before and could help me.

Thanks,

John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00180.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	41163
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00181.jpg  

Sr. Engineer

Since you can see it can you move the steering wheel and determine if this is where the excessive play is comming from?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Welcome to the club! Post you question in the Q and A section to get more response.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Yes, we put a locking wrench on the shaft and held the steering wheel tightly and you can still move the shaft around a bit. Any ideas on where I can get replacement parts and instructions on how to replace it?

Where is the Q & A section?

checkout gmpartsdirect.com. Select catalog, put in your vehicle, and then select steering column. I think that I may have found it in the diagram.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Welcome to the club John, it's good to have you with us.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club!

Note:
    If you don't get a useful response in the next day or so on this then I recommend posting your inquiry in the 'Technical Forums' section as appropriate to the type of issue you have ... or in the 'GM Platforms' section specific to your vehicle. You'll reach a wider group of the forum members that way ... and target your inquiry more directly to those who might already have experience with it.

***Thread Move to General Chevy Tech Q and A Section***

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks, it looks just like it. I appreciate the help.