GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New Radio Installed

Well, I finally have my new radio 100% ready to go. I took out the stock radio and installed a Kenwood DNX6180. For those that don't know me, and that's most of you, I am not a mechanically or electrically inclined individual. This was my first attempt at wiring anything. As a general rule, the extent of my wiring is insert plug into outlet, step away.

My wiring was pretty good, only missed one minor hook up which was easy to fix. The biggest issue I ran into was that I bought an aftermarket iPod/iPhone cable because Crutchfield didn't have it in stock and found it on eBay cheaper. Well you get what you pay for. The aftermarket cable wouldn't interact properly and kept dropping connection with the radio, couldn't handle the data transfer correctly, and just was a waste. So I bought the correct cable from BestBuy and installed it. Now everything is working perfectly, and I'm thrilled. I'm thrilled because I have an in-dash navigation system now, but more importantly, I'm thrilled because I managed to do this myself.

I do have to give some thanks to @SurrealOne for putting up with some questions and helping me make sure I was looking at things the right way. You helped me a bunch man, thanks.

Here's some pictures of what it looks like now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenwood1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	41211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenwood2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	41212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kenwood3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	41213
    Matt

Looks good.

Do your steering wheel controls work with this?

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Nice unit... Good luck and DON'T GET LOST!!! LOL
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X