GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 99 Suburban center and rear speaker wiring... HELP

Ok, I put a new dash unit in my Suburban, and I do not have any sound from the rear (center) speakers, and only a very high pitch audio coming out from the very rear speakers... I did continuity from the OEM stereo harness and get full continuity (could also get that if there is a short) when I put the multimeter on BUZZ, I get nada... when I test the front speakers, I heard the buzzing in the speaker as well.

So down to my question... where is the wiring harness located thru out the truck for the center rear and cargo speakers??? Or will it just be easier to run 8 new wires, 2 from each speaker...

Any ideas?
    -----------
    Thanks
    Stefan - Beacon, NY

99 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 LS (My truck)
    5.7L V8
    CarPC, 1.6Ghz Intel Atom, 2GB DDR2 Ram, 250GB Harddrive, GPS, BT, WIFI, OBD2 Reader, 7" Lilliput Touch, 9" Headrest monitors, running Centrafuse.
    348.000 miles

-Computer Consultant-
    Have any computer problems or questions? Just send me a message and I'll see what I can do :)

I'm almost sure the wiring runs through the channels under the sill plates. Whether they run down each side, I don't know.

Did your factory radio have Bose or some other "premium sound"? Seems like I read once that, if so, you have to get around the amp and what-not.

My truck is just the basic 4 speaker, which is why I ask.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Quote Originally Posted by KidHauler View Post
    I'm almost sure the wiring runs through the channels under the sill plates. Whether they run down each side, I don't know.

Did your factory radio have Bose or some other "premium sound"? Seems like I read once that, if so, you have to get around the amp and what-not.

My truck is just the basic 4 speaker, which is why I ask.

Good luck,
    I think it was Premium Sound... think there is a crappy amp somewhere, I just have to find it... that will be the hard part.

Been searching online and found that the Suburban might have a factory amplifier for the rear speakers, can someone point me in the right direction where this might be and what it would look like.
    Last edited by Bredin; 10-29-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Legend

If you want the exact correct answers call a custom shop and ask the questions, half the people here will say there is a factory amp the other says there isnt, I have never seen one in mine. i dont know what the premium sound some talk of either as there was no bose offered back then and there want a difference from an LS to an LT.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I am having the same issue after swapping my stock stereo for and aftermarket unit......

Yeah there is a small stupid aftermarket amp located under the driverseat (not on mine, the airbag computer is there) or under the dash... under the dash, it's bolted to the right (passenger) side of the steering colum and is a silver box with about 13 wires coming out of it with a white plug.
    My solution was to ignore that amp and just install an aftermarket amp for the rear speakers and rerun all the wires to the rear speakers (!) I think there is an easier way too, but this was the way I did it and then I was able to get some heavier gauge wires in there as well...

hey everyone. 99 suburban will have a factory amp. if memory serves correct, it's to the right of the glove box opening. fold down glove box door. silver metal box.
    check that when you reinstalled the radio you hooked up the smaller 5 or 6 pin connector. it plugs into your factory deck. it will have a pink or dark green wire, this activates the amp. the only speakers on this amp are the rear door speakers.

gwcars13, pull your aftermarket radio, if you used a plug adaptor, check your blue wire coming from it, make sure it's hooked to the blue/white coming from the aftermarket radio, if it is, look for the smaller plug i mentioned above, there will be a pink or dark green wire near the edge of the plug, it will need to see signal from the blue/white wire also. this will turn on your factory amp.
    Hope this helped you guys out.

Patrick

Brendin,
    I just swapped out the factory stereo on my '96 LT K2500 Suburban last weekend. On my truck, there is a little metal box under my driver side seat. That little metal box is the amplifier for my 2nd row door speakers only. The Front speakers and the two speakers in the very back are powered from the deck itself. The wiring harness and installation instructions from Crutchfield state numerous times that the Blue remote amp wire has to be hooked up to turn on the amplifier under the seat. Now, I got a wiring harness with it, so all I had to do was wire the blue remote amp wire on the Sony wiring pigtail to the blue wire on the wiring harness.

You may have tried this already, but I would go on Crutchfield, plug in your rig specs, plug in your stereo, and when it brings up your master installation instructions see if you can download them, it is worth a shot. Anyway, hope this helps. (come to think of it, they probably charge for that stuff, but you never know...)

1996 Chevy Suburban K2500
    -5.7L, 4L80E, heavy duty HydroBoost brakes
    -K&N FIPK
    -114K Miles, looks like 14K miles...
    -Just added new Sony Stereo with Sirius and Bluetooth. (Now it has more options than my buddy's '08!)
    2004 Acura MDX (wife's SUV)

Past Chevy's:
    1994 Chevy S-10 Ext. Cab 2WD (just sold it for what I paid for it, 3 years ago! I love it...)
    2006 Silverado Crew K2500HD Duramax/Allison (I miss her!)
    2005 Tahoe Z71 5.3L
    1997 Cheyenne Stand.Cab C1500 5.7L w/5 spd Man

This post worked for me. There is an amplifier that powers the rear door speakers:

gwcars13, pull your aftermarket radio,if you used a plug adaptor, check your blue wire coming from it, make sure it's hooked to the blue/white coming from the aftermarket radio, if it is, look for the smaller plug i mentioned above, there will be a pink or dark green wire near the edge of the plug, it will need to see signal from the blue/white wire also. this will turn on your factory amp.
    Hope this helped you guys out.