GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Opinion of 5.3 after first tow

Just returned from a 5,000 km (3,100 mile) little vacation across the Canadian Prairie Provinces and into the outer edges of the Canadian Rockies with my new truck. During this trip, I was comparing the performance of my NEW truck to my OLD truck (2004 Nissan Titan - 5.6L). Both trucks came with the full factory installed towing packages. 95% of this trip, my truck was towing a 5,500 lb travel trailer.
    During the entire trip, I used the Manual mode of the transmission - primarily in 5th gear.
    The biggest thing that I noticed between the two trucks was that the Titan's torque came into play at a lower RPM than the Sierra's. At 1,500 RPM the Titan had the power to pull whereas with the Sierra anything lower than 2,500 RPM's, the truck was very sluggish.
    With the Sierra, once I got used to the proper matchup between RPM's and gear's - performed satisfactory. To make things perform well, I was constantly manually shifting gears whereas with the Titan this wasn't really necessary (majority of the time).

True, I did miss the Titan's torque, manually shifting the Sierra enhanced its performance and torque performance. Average MPG for this trip was 13 (Imperial gallon) or 10.8 (US gallon)

Anyway (without voiding factory warranty) is there anything that one can do to improve low-end torque ???
    Richard (Winnipeg, MB Canada) - 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4x2 (Carbon Black Metallic) -Z71 - 5.3 L V8 - 3.42's
    Leer 100R truck cap; Chrome clad aluminum wheels (18"); custom cat-back dual side exits (4" diameter Magnaflow SS tips) exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler (18"); Cloud Rider stainless steel grill overlay

Quote Originally Posted by carbon black View Post
    Anyway (without voiding factory warranty) is there anything that one can do to improve low-end torque ???
    Have the dealership put in shorter gears...

Yep new gears.
    You could start adding an exhaust and intake system along with a Tuner, but in the end you'll finally realize the gear ratio will get you the best bang for the buck.

Let me know if the dealership will do this for you and keep your warranty.. The dealership I took mine to would not change the gears for me even if I paid and keep the factory warranty.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Let me know if the dealership will do this for you and keep your warranty.. The dealership I took mine to would not change the gears for me even if I paid and keep the factory warranty.
    Man that's some BS. The dealerships in your area sucks. My dealership is so cool. They don't mind me putting a tuner on my truck, change gears, or just about anything I want to do.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVINTHESTORM View Post
    Man that's some BS. The dealerships in your area sucks. My dealership is so cool. They don't mind me putting a tuner on my truck, change gears, or just about anything I want to do.
    They dont care if I do that stuff either, They just told me that they were not going to do it and if I have it done those parts or anything to do with those parts fail its not covered. But they said that they dont care what I do to my truck.