GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 05 Silverado no power in 2wd and 4 hi

Hey y'all I'm hoping you guys can help me out, I put my 2005 Silverado 1500 5.3 4x4 in the mud tonight and when going through a hole ( I know it wasn't bad my buddy had his Chevy same as mine only 2 years older and was going through the holes in 2wd that I had to lock into 4lo to get out of ) I had no power in 2wd and 4hi I had even shifted down to first gear thinking the tranny was still is 2nd gear. The rpms would not rise over 1000 and this was with my foot to the floor the rear wheels wouldn't even spin. I locked it in 4lo and my truck crawled right out with no problem, but still acted sluggish in the low rpms, this has got me stumped . I'm not transmission savvy so not sure if this could be a issue. I bought this truck brand new and it now has 86000 miles on it and the tranny and transfer case have never been serviced because I was told to wait till 100,00 miles by the dealer is this correct or should it have been flushed and changed before now. I am also running after market wheels and a set of 295 70 r 17 Cooper Stt Mud terrain. Thanks for any advice

How did the engine sound? Was it idling rough? I had something simalar happen to me and it was nothing more that a mud covered air filter. I cleaned the mud off and finished the day.

Hopefully it is something small like this. If not, give us a little more info as far as engine sound and how it runs on the road after this.
    2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    8in ProComp Suspension Lift, 4in Shackle Flip Kit, 3in Performance Products Body Lift, 17x9 Moto Metal wheels, 35x12.50x17 ProComp Xterrains, K&N cold air intake kit, Custom 3in exhaust, GoRhrino Black spring loaded steps, Truxedo Bed Cover, "SS" style Instrument Cluster with blue pointers and Trans Temp Gauge, JVC indash touchscreen DVD player, 2 MTX 10in subwoofers, Sony Xplode 1000watt amp, Radio Shack CB with dual black whips, Optima yellow top battery

Engine seemed fine no rough idle, just seemed to take a second to jump when I pressed the gas, also no mud or water on the filter. When I was in a hole the rpms just refused to climb in any gear unless I had locked it in 4lo and even then starting out took a extra second to get up and go

Does it rev freely in neutral, or is it sluggish then too?
    Everyone should own a Ford once in their life....how else can you truly appreciate a Chevy?

could be u got the O2 sensors wet. i did that in my old 05. it acted real funny till they dried out.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

To be honest I never tried to rev the engine in neutral but on the road it shows no sign of this problem, I press the gas and it gets with it' this only happens in soft sugar sand or mud low traction situatios

could be the torque managment system getting a little over zealous. computer is trying to protect the drivetrain by keeping the power low. the 4-Lo shift tells the computer to open it up because you NEED the power.

with those bigger tires in the soft stuff the truck is hooking more, ergo, harder to turn over and spin em. this is just my guess tho, i could be way off.

Alex

Guys I sure appreciate it, ill keep yall informed if I'm able to figure this out