GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rear Drum Brakes

I just changed my front brakes on my 1500 silverado. the squealing has almost completely stopped. how often are you suppossed to change rear brakes. i watched a video and it looks a lot harder. when are your rear brakes even used.
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

I didn't change mine till 120,000 miles on my '05, and they weren't completely gone, just out of spec for PA inspection. Most of the braking is done by the front brakes which is why they went to bigger rotors in '05.

ok thanks do you know when your rear brakes are actually used? i know that it is also the emergency brake.
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6

rear brakes are actually used?
    Assuming the brakes are working correctly, they should apply every time you press the brake pedal.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Rear brakes actuate with every press on the brake pedal. Drums do not exert as much braking force as disc brakes, so they are used in rear applications only anymore (since the mid 1970's). As the rear brakes do less work because of the forward weight shift during stopping, they may wear slower than the front brakes.

They do need to be inspected periodically. Once or twice a year at least. Whenever you rotate your tires (should be every 5k miles), you should check them out. If the shoe material wears down the mounting rivets, you will have metal-on-metal contact that can damage your brake drums...and your brakes won't work anymore either.

Same with the parking brake as it activates the same mechanism to hold your truck in place...and as an emergency secondary braking system that is cable actuated should the hydraulic system fail. I had a brake hose blow out once. The parking/emergency brake saved by butt. Squealing noises can come from the rear brakes as well.
    Rob
    1999 Suburban C1500 LS 5.7 K&N filter, VentVisors, debadged aka "LAAT/i...Larty"
    1994 C2500 454. Ex-Forest Service beastie. aka "Redneck"
    2006 Saturn Ion...the Wife's car.
    Empty spot that needs a Jeep...

thank you very much
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6