GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Brake troubles

Exclamation Brake troubles

I have a 2001 1500 HD. I recently had the main rear brake line blow out. I've replace it, both rear calipers, rotors, pads. The system has been thoroughly bled and there is no air in the lines. When breaking, the pedal is hard and grabs slowing the truck down but then it softens up and go almost all the way to the floor where it stiffens up again and the truck slows more. I've checked for leaks and find nothing. I'm suspecting it's the master cylinder?? Any thoughts?

Thanks

Default Brake Troubles

Quote Originally Posted by Time2fish View Post
    I have a 2001 1500 HD. I recently had the main rear brake line blow out. I've replace it, both rear calipers, rotors, pads. The system has been thoroughly bled and there is no air in the lines. When breaking, the pedal is hard and grabs slowing the truck down but then it softens up and go almost all the way to the floor where it stiffens up again and the truck slows more. I've checked for leaks and find nothing. I'm suspecting it's the master cylinder?? Any thoughts?

Thanks
    It could be the master cylinder, but on my 2002 Silverado 4X4 my brake pedal felt like mush from day I drove out of the dealer. Service Dept. said their was no air in the brake system, truck was fine. To make a long story short I got the " you know you can go to another dealer" line. Well I fix it my self, I used a Motive Brake pressure bleeder from Summit Racing. Bleeder does not cost a lot,easy to use and I flush out brake system every other year in my car and truck.

2011 Silverado Ext. 4x4 5.3 (and it came with great brakes, great overall quality & performance)
    Z71 Appearance Pkg
    Hard Body tonneau cover
    Dave