GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by LOVINTHESTORM View Post
    I have a Volant and love it. I can tell a difference after I put it on especialy on the interstate. Definitely more that any K&N filter that I have put on any rides in the past. Little more pricer than K&N but worth it. Check out newlevelmotorsports.com , hands down the cheapest site on the web. Got mine in about a week no problems.
    Please quantify those differences. Can we get some hard numbers so that we can supply this man with some cold, hard facts rather than seat-of-the-pants subjectivity? I'm asking because as I understand it the performance gains associated with CAI's only manifest themselves (in significant enough fashion to be human noticeable) at WOT (wide open throttle) ... and the numbers I have suppport that understanding.

With a stock air box I saw temperatures that were ~3 degrees higher than with my Outlaw CAI. This is as-measured in a 20 minute data log (for each run) with the engine at normal operating temperatures prior to the start of the logging. I'm sorry to say but a ~3 degree temperature delta is not enough to make a substantive difference in the course of normal driving -- and definitely not enough of a difference to be human noticeable. It -can- help generate a few ponies at WOT when the engine is gulping as much air as possible, as it's a little added density ... but that's about it.

Are you sure subjectivity didn't skew your observations? People sink money into CAI's ... so of -course- they expect a difference ... and tend to make observations based on their expectations. It's human nature. If you've got some data let's see it, as I'm always up for learning something new.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 07-03-2012 at 07:26 PM.

I can't remember where I saw this but after I bought my Volant CAI I found a graph that showed the difference between a full K&N system, K&N drop in filter, and another brand of CAI (might have been a Spectre kit but I don't remember). The info that was provided showed that the largest gain was actually with a drop in filter with a large hole drilled into the bottom of the air box. I paid something like $350 or so for the Volant, a K&N kit is about that also. While a drop in filter is something like $60 or so. With all that being said I like the look under the hood of my truck with the Volant kit. The straight tube that replaces that stock piece cleans up the looks of the engine compartment.

yep. i just did the K&N drop in filter. didnt feel like spending the bucks to get a full CAI. maybe down the road i will get one.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Please quantify those differences. Can we get some hard numbers so that we can supply this man with some cold, hard facts rather than seat-of-the-pants subjectivity? I'm asking because as I understand it the performance gains associated with CAI's only manifest themselves (in significant enough fashion to be human noticeable) at WOT (wide open throttle) ... and the numbers I have suppport that understanding.

With a stock air box I saw temperatures that were ~3 degrees higher than with my Outlaw CAI. This is as-measured in a 20 minute data log (for each run) with the engine at normal operating temperatures prior to the start of the logging. I'm sorry to say but a ~3 degree temperature delta is not enough to make a substantive difference in the course of normal driving -- and definitely not enough of a difference to be human noticeable. It -can- help generate a few ponies at WOT when the engine is gulping as much air as possible, as it's a little added density ... but that's about it.

Are you sure subjectivity didn't skew your observations? People sink money into CAI's ... so of -course- they expect a difference ... and tend to make observations based on their expectations. It's human nature. If you've got some data let's see it, as I'm always up for learning something new.
    Surreal, you make very good points as usual. And no I don't have cold hard facts. But I do know that there is a difference from stock. Yes the difference is only really noticed aat a hard acceleration, I won't even call it wide open. But it does accelerate easier and reaches the govrnor with alot more pedal to go. Almost gets ther before it hits six gear which it didn't do before. Yes I would agree that it doesn't save the kind of gas that is advertised but I could see it saving on long interstate trips. And yes that is purely speculation. It also sounds a little meaner. And I do love the way it looks in the engine bay. And for those reasons alone the money was worth it for me. I did not notice these things with a K&N drop-in on past vehicles. But perhaps had I drilled a big hole in the bottom, like aloxdaddy99 stated was done in the graph of data he seen, then maybe I would have notice similiar rusults.

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Well son of a b, I'm back at step one. Back to the drawing bored for me lol. I'm going to do more research and then I'll get back to everyone.

Thanks guys again, that information was
    More than I had expected!

2009 Chevy Silverado!

Blacked out tail lights + 3rd brake light
    l Tint: 35% front windows and Limo on the rest l Hard wired Valentine One radar detector l Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires with GM CK375 wheels l Hand welded receiver hitch l HID lighting l SMD lighting l Blacked out front and rear emblems l Cherry Bomb Extreme exhaust dumped l 2 Kenwood 12's powered by a Kenwood amp w/ an Base control l

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ---2012 Chevy Cruze
    ---

"Let's just agree that a perfect truck is hard to find, and we'll drive the Silverado till we find it." - Car and Driver

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTechRaider View Post
    Well son of a b, I'm back at step one. Back to the drawing bored for me lol. I'm going to do more research and then I'll get back to everyone.

Thanks guys again, that information was
    More than I had expected!
    Now this is just my opinion. But I think you too will noticed a difference. My truck does accelerate faster and sounds better doing it. And yeah it's your choose. But there are three performnca mods I plan on doing without getting into big money and drastic engine work. Here they are in order of instalation exhaust, cold air intake, and Diablo programmer with a Diablew tuning. Diablew tuning is a custome tune specific to your truck done by Lew a member on here know as 06MonteSS. Contact him and consult with him. I personally found his info very helpful. But between the combo of the three in my opinion you can't go wrong. I've done two of the three steps and as soon as the budget allows I will be getting the Diablo Trinity. You have to decide for yourself but I wouldn't recommend someone do something that I regreted. Good luck in making your mod decisions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12