GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default GM customer service.

Here's the story.
    My 07 suburban I bought used with 42k on it this past January of 2012. This past Wednesday the fourth. (holiday) Transmission went out. 48k miles. The family and I were out of town so I called around to every shop. Including Chevy dealer. Everyone was closed. Except local transmission shop. I had it towed there. He opened it up and said he could not believe what it looked like with so few miles. BAD. Our 5 yr. 100k warranty was up April 18th 2012. I called customer service and all this crazy service guy said over and over was it had to be towed to a GM dealer. To be diagnosed to see what the issue was. And I would have to pay for them to diagnose it. I then asked him if I could just bring the tranny in it self to just show them that it was destroyed. No go. I had the transmission shop go ahead and put a new transmission in. GM TRANNY. Now I am second guessing if I should have or should sell the bow tie and get a blue oval. The thing that I am ticked about is that my brakes haven't even been replaced yet and the flippin tranny goes out. Unacceptable in my book. Yes I know I decided to go with the local transmission shop but why should I have it diagnosed a second time and have it towed a second time. If I would have done that I would be sitting around $600 for two diagnostics and two tows and still nothing done to fix it. I'm not asking for a complete coverage from GM by any means. The new tranny is a GM 5 yr. 100k. and maybe I should have paid a local shop for a used one instead of paying the government for a new one. Just wanting to know if I should keep pursuing GM? Sorry for venting but just a bad taste from GM customer service and Chevy itself. Need in-site on if I should pursure this with GM or any other advise would be great.

This is your first thread? No offense, but we get some trolls on her once in awhile and you might want to introduce yourself first especially given the nature of this thread.

Also, if you post a question on tranny issues under power trains you may get a better response. I don't think I would've jumped to get a tranny from a separate shop if I was expecting it to be covered by GM. If you needed the tranny replaced, couldn't you have waited to take it to a dealer?
    2009 GMC Sierra 5.3L running on E85
    Black and chrome
    Volant CAI
    Borla dual exhaust
    Chrome Billet grill
    Tonneau cover
    4300k High/Low Beam HIDs
    Westin Ultimate Bull Bar with PIAA 540s
    Blacked-out tail and third brake light

Quote Originally Posted by Als09Sierra View Post
    This is your first thread? No offense, but we get some trolls on her once in awhile and you might want to introduce yourself first especially given the nature of this thread.

Also, if you post a question on tranny issues under power trains you may get a better response. I don't think I would've jumped to get a tranny from a separate shop if I was expecting it to be covered by GM. If you needed the tranny replaced, couldn't you have waited to take it to a dealer?
    Agreed....

2011 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB 2WD W/5.3

Convenience Package
    : Adjustable Pedals, Remote Start, Electric Rear Window Defogger, Rear Parking Assist

Power Tech. Package| Volant CAI| GMC Upgraded Grill| Line-X Premium Bedliner| AVS Smoke Headlight Covers| Demolded| AMI Black Grill Emblem| AMI Black Rear Emblem| EGR In-Channel Window Visors| IPCW Third Brake Light| IPCW LED Fiber Optic Tail Lights| IJDM Dome & License Plate LED's| Flowmaster Exhaust W/ 3" Black Chrome Tips| OEM 20" Rims W/ Goodyear Eagle LS2

You can't get away from the STORM!

Didn't mean to come off on the wrong foot here. Didn't have many options at the time being out of town on vacation with the family. Why is this post under power train section when I search it. Bare with me. If I am wrong. sorry. Introduction of me "If it gets great gas mileage. it ain't a V8" I was just looking for advice, and a "welcome" to the forum would of been nice but a "Troll" works too.

I'm not asking for a complete coverage from GM by any means.

Personal Opinion:

Moving from bowtie to oval... BIG No-No.

Yes: the 4l60e transmission your 'burban probably has in it is a mistake that GM needs to resolve. But that's usually only the case when adding additional power to the engine.

Things happen though. It's very unfortunate that it happened to you while on vacation on the fourth, and i definitely understand your being pretty pissed at GM given the circumstances.

But now that the transmission has already been replaced and the old one is most likely already torn apart and being rebuilt, there's probably not alot that GM will do for you, considering you had the work done out of house.

Pros: the work is already done, and more than likely you will not have any problems out of your vehicle for a long time... PLUS.. it is a bowtie.

Cons: You're more than likely out the cost of the work done to it by the local shop which replaced the transmission

you've already put the money into it, keep it.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Sr. Engineer

Hey cfritz, WELCOME to the forum. Sorry bout the rough start here and your vacation. Not much worse than out of town AND holiday AND family to have a breakdown except maybe a crash with injuries and I am glad that was not the case. Was this purchased from a dealer or a private sale? Document as much as you can and as soon as you can. Just curious, was there any warning or symptoms before the failure?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear