GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Safe RPMs in 5.3 '03 Yukon XL

Upgraded TT to JayFeather series ~ 5.5K lbs fully loaded. Towed from Memphis to Orlando/Disney area and back. Terrain varied but mostly had to run at 3K+ to hold 65mph on even or slight upgrades and 70 was only possible going down hill. While I don't like running the engine that high I wonder if that is within normal tolerances and especially for a 15-hour session. For a long trip, what is the upper level of RPMs for the sake of the engine and/or the transmission?

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by KMan420 View Post
    Upgraded TT to JayFeather series ~ 5.5K lbs fully loaded. Towed from Memphis to Orlando/Disney area and back. Terrain varied but mostly had to run at 3K+ to hold 65mph on even or slight upgrades and 70 was only possible going down hill. While I don't like running the engine that high I wonder if that is within normal tolerances and especially for a 15-hour session. For a long trip, what is the upper level of RPMs for the sake of the engine and/or the transmission?

I had about 6500#s behind my 2012 2500HD...it wanted to hold 5500RPM on the bigger hills to maintain 50mph, regardless of what I did. Coming from a low revving Cummins, this was a little unnerving to say the least. I was told for short durations, the higher RPMs are not detrimental. As long as your not at red line, it should be "within tolerance".

I would make sure your oil is fresh and coolant are topped off, if its going to be spinning that fast and towing hard; being up on the maintenance is mandatory.

Did you see what your tranny temp was running? I think that is where I would be more worried. I think the only issue of running a higher RPM like that is the reduction in MPG's. X2 on what @steved said about fluid maint. if you work it harder than "normal usage" you should adjust your maint schedule

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

The key to towing with your rig is watching your gauges granted they are all accurate. If you are going to spend any significant time towing, i would swap in a deep tranny oil pan and an after market tranny oil cooler. I would not be worried so much about your engine as much. I don't think you should be at 3k+ your entire trip though either. When in 4th and your tc locked, you should be able to cruise 65 without your engine wound out.
    Adam
    2004.5 CCSB Duramax
    Max Effort Tuning by Idaho Rob - Goerend Transmission - PCV ReRoute - EGR Blocked - Plugged Resonator - 5" Diamond Eye Turbo Back - Tie Rod Sleeves - All On Mod - Edge Insight CTS - Recon Taillights, Cab Lights, & 3rd Brake Light