GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default level/ cap question

I just put a daystar front leveling kit on my truck and am also shopping around for a cap. My question is if i put a cap on the bed will the excess weight pull the rear of the truck closer to the ground and shoot my headlights up in the air? I dont think there will be a big issue i was just looking for some input. Thanks

What do you have for a truck? Go on lears web site and pick out a cap and get the weight, put that amount in your bed and see what happens. Most trucks shouldn't sag from just a cap, if it does add a leaf or airbags maybe.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE 4WD/Z71 Crew Cab Gray Green Metallic 6.0 Gas 6spd Auto 3.73 gears, HD locking rear differential. 18"Alum Wheels (Stock) Stock Michelin LTX AT-II Tires, Banks Monster Exhaust, Westin Platinum SS Oval Step Bars, EGR Window Deflectors, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Front and back Weathertech Digitech liners. Factory Remote Start with Onstar App on iPhone.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE Black 4WD 4.2 175,000 Miles all original drivetrain and runs like a champ and no rust or rot!

Quote Originally Posted by post3ll View Post
    I just put a daystar front leveling kit on my truck and am also shopping around for a cap. My question is if i put a cap on the bed will the excess weight pull the rear of the truck closer to the ground and shoot my headlights up in the air? I dont think there will be a big issue i was just looking for some input. Thanks
    ........Around 5/6 years back, I had a Snug Top Cap/Shell on my Silverado, before going with a Snug Top Tonneau Cover, I have also installed a 2in" Rear Shackle Drop, and when the Cap/Shell was put on........the Back/Bed of the Truck barely move(Down).....IIRC they(Snug Top) expressed to me the Weight of the Cap/Shell was around 250lbs??........and as you can see, my Silverado is a Short Bed, Fleetside.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Blog Entries

I had zero issues with sagging after installing my topper with a pro comp 2" leveling kit. A basic fiberglass topper (no cab side slider, regular side windows, etc.) will weigh close to 200 pounds, which our trucks handle with ease. I even had my truck loaded to the brim with everything 3 people and a baby would need on a recent road trip and the truck still sat fairly "level" (though the front of the truck has been lowered down a 1/2" before then)
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Shouldn't make a differnece unless you get one o dem der campers
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"