GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Air Conditioner Leak

The AC in my 99' Yukon quit working last Jan. Pep Boys recharged it and put a dye in to find leaks. It worked fine all year until last month when I would turn the ac off because the temp dropped outside. In Florida it gets cold one day and it is 85 the next. After cycling the systen on and off a few times it quit working. The pressure was low and I bought a recharge kit. The air was cold for less than one day. Could there be a leak that is triggered when ac button is turned off and on?

Cycling the switch should have no effect on a leak. Every time you turn the engine off, the system equalizes between the high and low sides. It probably just got low enough again for the low pressure switch to shut it down. You can sometimes find the leak by looking at the lines and joints and find where the greasy spot is (if you keep your engine otherwise clean). The oil in the refrigerant grabs dust and leaves a greasy spot at the leak site.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Cycling the switch should have no effect on a leak. Every time you turn the engine off, the system equalizes between the high and low sides. It probably just got low enough again for the low pressure switch to shut it down. You can sometimes find the leak by looking at the lines and joints and find where the greasy spot is (if you keep your engine otherwise clean). The oil in the refrigerant grabs dust and leaves a greasy spot at the leak site.
    Good info.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

If they put dye in the AC system to look for leaks, you can pull out a black light and start shining it in the engine bay. The dye should be UV reactive, so it should show up with the black light. Hope this helps.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

It turns ut that the leak is coming from the compressor. $$$$$ Thanks for the input.
    Dave
    '99 Yukon
    '05 Silverado Crew Cab