GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default clunking 4x4 and clogged throttle body

Hi there, I have a 2003 Envoy SLE, 4x4, 4.2L

#1 - I was reading on a previous post about people having a clogged throttle body and how I can clean it myself for about $15 and 45 minutes of time...can anyone direct me to a site on how to do this, or give me directions on this? Thanks...

#2 - When I engage my 4x4 and i turn the steering wheel either way while driving I get a "clunking" sound happening. It seemed to only happen when i was backing up, but now it looks like it happens while in drive as well...I hardly ever need to use my 4x4, but i am worried this might be a BIG problem and would like to know if anyone else has had this happen.

Thanks for your help!
    DC

#2: Under what road conditions did you have it in 4H? On dry pavement (or whenever traction is good), the drivetrain is going to complain in 4H. This is because the front and rear are locked together so they can't spin at different speeds. But, when turning, the front needs to spin faster than the rear. Under low traction conditions, the tires can slip easily to relieve the tension. If the tires can't readily slip, then you get hopping, groaning, clunking, and breaking.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

thanks, i guess i have only tried it when i needed 4x4...so i'll try it today in a clear parking lot and see if it's the same on dry surfaces.

Completely agree with that. I was headed into a hay field a few months back to do some fence repairs and accidentally, stupidly put the truck in 4h as I was turning into the field from dry pavement.

If this continues to happen in slippery conditions I would have it checked out. It could be a bad CV joint.

It is hard to tell if they are bad unless they have a ripped boot. But that noise/clunk you speak of is one of the symptoms of a CV joint that is on its way out. Only if it does it in slippery conditions.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

I am a CV joint connousieur. I've broken both of the CVs on my suburban over the course of 2 weeks. You will notice a clunking when turning and occasionally a twitch in the wheel. When you put it in 4x4 it usually gets worse.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Quote Originally Posted by 95CTburb19 View Post
    I am a CV joint connousieur. I've broken both of the CVs on my suburban over the course of 2 weeks. You will notice a clunking when turning and occasionally a twitch in the wheel. When you put it in 4x4 it usually gets worse.
    Tyanks a lot, I'll check into it...do you know of any good online stores with lower cost CV joints?